How to open a pdf on ipad

I'm a long time zotero user, but only recently got an ipad. I think I've explored the ui pretty thoroughly and still I cannot figure out how to open a pdf in an app of my choosing. Since I'm guessing this is impossible, how can I find the location where the files are being downloaded, so I can open them directly from there. I know I can make local copies and edit them, but I obviously don't want that - I want to edit the original, and have the annotations synced the same way I do on my pc.
Thanks
  • PDFs in the iOS app open right within the built-in PDF reader. You can't choose an external one.
  • Thanks for the comment. Could you possibly give some hint regarding the second question? Given the brevity of your answer, I'm guessing again that something is not possible. The zotero ios docs give me the impression that the only way to annotate a pdf is through the built-in pdf reader. Is this supposed to be the case by design or are there plans to allow third party apps to do that in the future?
    Thanks again
  • correct, the iOS app isn't designed for use with external pdf readers and that's by design.
  • Hey, do you know if zotero is planning to implement this feature ? That would be really useful ! Also when working on my laptop if i open the pdfs that I modified using the build-in zotero app for ipad, the annotations are not visible (but yet there are present).