Create Bibtex from CSL file? (individual citation style from my university)

I know it's really stupid, but my Univeristy has its own csl and only accepts that style.

I am using LaTex for my thesis and want to include a bibliography that I export from Zotero. So my question would be if there is any way to export the bibliography in a way that resembles that CSL file?
  • I *think* you could use pandoc to compile the LaTeX, using the CSL style to generate citations, see https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citation-rendering
  • Otherwise, if you just want the bibliography, install the CSL style, select the items in your document, right-click --> Create bibliography from selected items.
  • "Otherwise, if you just want the bibliography, install the CSL style, select the items in your document, right-click --> Create bibliography from selected items."

-> Would that also be able to create a bibtex file? I cannot add a "bibliography" into latex, right?

" *think* you could use pandoc to compile the LaTeX, using the CSL style to generate citations, see https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citation-rendering"

-> did you ever try this or have a brief explanation on how that could be implemented? I am not so experienced with LaTex, just like to learn it bit by bit.. :D
  • Would that also be able to create a bibtex file? I cannot add a "bibliography" into latex, right?
    I wasn't sure what you were planning to do, but you could, of course, convert the bibliography to PDF and merge the files -- not elegant, but will do.
    Yes, Zotero will of course create bibtex, but what would you do with that given that you need to use a CSL style?
    did you ever try this or have a brief explanation on how that could be implemented? I am not so experienced with LaTex, just like to learn it bit by bit.. :D
    So let's assume you have your LaTeX file thesis.tex, the bibtex exported from Zotero bibliography.bib, the CSL file from your institution institution.csl. You'd place them all in a single directory and in that directory run

pandoc --citeproc --bibliography=bibliography.bib --csl=institution.csl thesis.tex -o Thesis.pdf

For more help on pandoc you should go to their google group, stack overflow, or Twitter -- we can't really provide that here.

• Another option that Denis Maier just pointed me to (and that lets you stay entirely within LaTeX) is https://github.com/zepinglee/citeproc-lua
  • Is there a tutorial how to use citeproc-lua?

Where in my tex file should I place this?

Thanks a lot :))

• I think the stackexchange post you started is the better place for that question, since it really has nothing to do with Zotero.
  • edited May 3, 2022
  • The time of volunteers providing free expertise is valuable. Please respect & understand when we direct you to more appropriate fora for non-Zotero questions.
  • edited May 3, 2022
    Okay, so apparently the LaTex package is still not that far developed...

Would there be a work-around solution using Zotero? So what is possible is to use Betterbibtex in Zotero to import my bibtex file, change it to use abbreviations and then export it again.

Basically, would this also be possible in another way? So changing my bibtex file to use the journal abbreviations my university wants (their csl) and then import them again to LaTex?