Show annotation link in note

edited April 27, 2022
This discussion was created from comments split from: Annotations don't display back link.
  • Wonderful stuff, thanks for all your hard work.

Earlier, I was using ZotFile to create notes from annotations and I was able to include links to the PDF or even the comment. Ex: "They show that the sun rises in the East. (note on p.343)" where note on p.343 appears as a link in the note editor.

I notice that I am able to click on highlight quotes in the note editor and it shows 'Show on Page' and 'Unlink'. These are good but slightly hidden away - it is not readily apparen that there is a backlink embedded in the notes.

Is it possible to simply make the '(Doe et al., 2014, p. 561)' an actual HTML hyperlink? From the note templates page, I see no variable for the URI yet. It might be a useful feature to have the backlinks appear on the notes themselves for folks who may not be exporting to markdown.
  • (Please start new threads for new issues — the thread you posted to was about a specific bug in the last version that's been fixed. I've moved this to a new thread.)

The link information is embedded in the note — there's no reason for it to take up visible space. It's possible there could be other styling options for active annotations. (Note that you can already enable annotation colors from the note menu if you want it to be clearer what's active.)
    It might be a useful feature to have the backlinks appear on the notes themselves for folks who may not be exporting to markdown.
    We're planning to add the link option to rich-text exports as well.