Sync errors, conflict resolution annoyance

Hi,

I've got a problem syncing my library. (I was trying to test group file storage, but didn't get that far.)

Automatic syncing fails, reporting the following error (reported with ID 491547893):

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Creator key not set for item in Zotero.Sync.Server.sync()"]

The message tells me to manually sync, which brings up the Conflict Resolution dialog. I follow the options there, selecting appropriate versions (which multiply each time I do this -- I'm up to 74 now) and ultimately "finishing".

However, no change, no sync. Any ideas?

Also, the window that pops up for conflict resolution is way taller than it needs to be, and it doesn't permit resizing. I had to turn off my taskbar (I'm on XP at the moment, 1024 x 768) to even see the buttons. Not an impenetrable barrier to use, but an unnecessary annoyance, I think.
  • You definitely shouldn't get that error. This is the first we've seen of it.

Could you generate debug output for the sync attempt—up to that error—from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here? Thanks.
  • OK, I just enabled debug logging and then went through the whole manual sync process. It recorded 107K lines of output. Yikes! Here's the id: D1536034214

And here again is an error report ID for the failed autosync:

Hope that's what you needed. Let me know if I need to be more specific or do anything different.
  • edited November 25, 2009
    Hello,

So any movement on this issue? Is this a bug?

I'm still getting the same thing 2.0b7.5

New error report ID: 701900398

[JavaScript Error: "Creator key not set for item in Zotero.Sync.Server.sync()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 799}]

Thanks,
    Zach
  • Upgraded to 2.0b7.6, still can't sync my "main" local Zotero.

[JavaScript Error: "Creator key not set for item in Zotero.Sync.Server.sync()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 799}]

Error Report: 389799747

To recap, the sequence is
    1. automatic sync fails (exclamation point indicates error), message:

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: An automatic sync resulted in a conflict that requires manual intervention.

Click the sync icon to sync manually."]

2. I click the sync icon to sync manually, and I am presented with the (too large) conflict resolution window.

3. I work my way through that conflict resolution dialogue, eventually with the option to "finish."

4. Syncing appears to continue, and then pops up several messages in a row about items in various collections (both shared and personal) that have been moved or changed both locally and remotely.

5. Syncing then fails, with the error:

I had hope that the problem was being caused by my library being too big, but I just added the paid storage and I haven't seen any different behavior.

Help?
  • Hi again,

I just captured that sequence with Debug Output Logging. Submitted with report D537044531.

Also, I captured two more bug reports on the way, 838234424 (which included an additional few errors -- "nsISupports is not defined") and 1334584132.
  • Can you grab the latest trunk build and generate another Debug ID for the sync session? I've added some additional debug output that should help us figure out what's going on.

Despite the warnings on that page, there've only been one or two small changes since 2.0b7.6, so it should be safe to use. (As always, make sure you have a backup anyway.) You won't be able to return to 2.0b7.6, so you'll need to stay on this until the next release. You shouldn't update to additional trunk builds until then.
  • OK, hope I did it right: D907740793.

Thanks for looking into this!
  • OK, grab the latest trunk build via Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> Find Updates and try a sync. Probably a good idea to turn on debug logging first in case problems arise.

I had to make some changes to sync code in order to (attempt to) fix this, so I would recommend backing up your data directory before trying.
  • OK, I tried again and it went through pretty much the same sequence. After completing the conflict-resolution, however, it did pull down at least one item from the sync server.

Sync ended in a new error:
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: ae72bf4e)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]
    (reported with id 1996860176).

I submitted debug output D1826278874.

Thanks again for your help!
  • OK, that should be fixed.
  • OK, I'm back home so I can do more testing. I still get a sync error (reported: 1457689312), and I noticed that it seems to get stuck on the "uploading files" phase.

I submitted another debug report: D62373719.

Watching the progress bar, I saw that it did do some uploading (starting at 0/145), but then it stopped (before reaching 1/145).
  • Unexpected status code 0 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS._getStorageFileInfo()
    Do you get this same error every time? If you restart Firefox? If you disable all other extensions (and particularly any that involve network connections)?

If you browse to https://api.zotero.org, do you get a certificate error? (Don't whitelist it if you do—Zotero's cert is valid, but some people have gotten this error due to problems in Firefox.)
  • Yes, that seems to be the error. I just got it again with perhaps a bit more info:

It seems to target a specific item/element which I know is referring to a URL that no longer exists, so I'll see if I can find that particular item and either fix or purge it.

Failing that, I'll try disabling other extensions and go from there.

api.zotero.org worked, but it might be worth noting that I have frequent network connection problems on this PC. So if it's dropping in the middle of a sync, could that cause the problems reported?
  • It seems to target a specific item/element which I know is referring to a URL that no longer exists, so I'll see if I can find that particular item and either fix or purge it.
    You shouldn't need to do that. Zotero should properly handle missing items. The "no element found" message might indicate some other issue. A Debug ID to go along with those messages might help.
    So if it's dropping in the middle of a sync, could that cause the problems reported?
    Yes, it certainly might. I'll do some testing, and, if that's the case, I'll see if there's any way for us to differentiate between dropped connections and SSL certificate errors.
  • edited December 3, 2009
    On restart, a similar (but different) error:

New error report: 1734496870
    Debug: D188490969

Still need to try turning stuff off ...

... OK, after disabling Adblock Plus, sync made it farther than usual, but threw another error: 57413290.
  • OK!

I appear to be all synced up now. I noticed that it was throwing different errors in what appeared to be the same situations, so I guessed it could be a wonky connection interrupting the sync process at different points, and then screwing up the sync data different ways.

So I just kept trying, restarting firefox and re-syncing, successfully uploading at most 2 or 3 files at a time.

Eventually, I started getting more and more at one shot, and finally they all went through.

So I don't know what it was, exactly, but I'm good to go now!