Full-stop in footnotes and dealing with Chinese names

Hello everybody,
I am using Chicago Manual 17th edition (note) and try to solve two problems.

1. How can I remove the final "." in the footnote citation? I sometimes integrate citations into a sentence and would therefore like to remove the automatic full-stop at the end of every citation.

2. Is there any 'standard way' of dealing with Chinese (Asian) names? When I cite Chinese authors, I would like to give their transliterated name as well as the Chinese characters, for example "Zhang Yonggui 张永贵". At the moment, I am putting all of it in the surname field and leave the given name field empty, so that the order is not mixed up. However, in the bibliography, Zotero adds a comma after the surname in expectation of a given name: "Lai Feng 来丰, and Zhang Yonggui 张永贵." Is there any way of avoiding this problem?

Thank you in advance and kind regards,
Kevin
  • Hi,

1. To remove the final full stop in footnotes, remove suffix="." from line 1308 (starts with layout....). You'll need to give the style a new name, ID etc. as explained here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

2. You could try to switch the name field to single-field mode. Beside the name there is a little box. Click on that. That's usually used for instituational names like "National People's Congress", but could solve your problem here. Give it a try.
  • (re 1. The standard way, though, would be to leave the period and put the sentence into a suffix)
  • Thank you damnation, both of your suggested solutions worked!

Also thank you for your suggestion, adamsmith. I will try that too.