Chicago manual of style 17th edition full note (placing footnote before punctuation)?

Hello maybe somebody can help me, I'm not used to using this reference style, it seems odd to me that it is putting the footnotes before punctuation 'fullstop' 'comma' etc. Is this correct? I have looked at other documents and all seem to come after punctuation, have I done something odd in transferring from Harvard to Chicago?
Many thanks
  • It inserts the number where you have the cursor. This is just standard Word behaviour. If you want them after the dot, you can do that or just write the dot where you want it.
  • Many thanks for getting back to me, you see I just converted from Harvard to Chicago so the document 10, 000 words has this now, is this the correct way to use footnotes, many online say it is not?

So I am wondering is this just the way Zotero converts from Harvard and is correct?
  • I just tried to see if I can reproduce this, but also for Harvard styles, the citation gets inserted where the cursor was. E.g.:
    ....desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum (Campbell and Pedersen, 2007).

So when switching to a note style it just makes the number be before the full stop also. E.g.:
    desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum 1.
  • Thank you, I am sorry but I am not understanding what you mean by ‘the citation gets inserted where the cursor was’?

My issue is that I am converting from Harvard to Chicago, and then all the footnote numbers or before the punctuation, my cursor is not placed anywhere I am converting a 10,000-word document, I have been reading online that this is incorrect for Chicago citations?

So this is why I am very confused, why is Zotero doing this. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to explain to me thank you for your patience.
    Regards.
  • Can you copy an excert from your document here with an author-date style citation that clearly shows where the punctuation is/was?
  • It's not allowing me to paste a footnote, can I post a screenshot?
  • more specific categories’ . Author Seth Kim-Cohen believes that ‘the language of sonic practice distinct from music is only now emerging’ .

Can you see the gap before the full stop that is where the footnote number is, should it not be after punctuation?
  • Basically, the question is this:

In Chicago 17th Style, does the footnote number go before or after punctuation?

Numerous sources online say after.

But Zotero is putting it before.

I do not know which is right?

• It's correct after punctuation. Zotero doesn't put it there though: that's a byproduct if converting from Harvard: Zotero just doesn't *move* the citation. You can likely find a search and replace with wildcards in Wird that does this one bulk
  • Thank you, sorry what are wildcard in Wird?
  • Word, sorry. Special characters that you can define for search and replace, like a footnote anchor