Firefox 3.6 beta 1

Does anyone know if Zotero will work with the new Firefox 3.6 beta? I recall that people reported that it wouldn't play nicely with the 3.6 alpha, but wondered if anyone had tried the 3.6b.

Lisa
  • We've fixed a few compatibility issues in the latest dev builds, so they should at least load in 3.6 (which is not the case with 2.0b7.4), but we've done only minimal testing beyond that, and there are definitely other issues.

The good news is that 3.6 will allow us to fix a few issues (including, potentially, file dragging on Linux).

We'll provide another update when 2.0b7.5 is released.
  • (including, potentially, file dragging on Linux)
    *does-little-happy-dance*
  • yay.
    That is good news.
  • indeed good news. playing around with 3.6 a bit and it sure feels more responsive. especially those slowdowns in the adress bar are almost gone.

happy halloween everybody!
  • Awesome news! I can't wait to try the 3.6b with Zotero~! :)
  • It does work with FF3.6 but does not sync. Unchecking webdav does not allow syncing. Anybody managed to get it to sync with Zotero server using firefox 3.6?
  • edited November 6, 2009
    Are you using a dev build? If not, network requests from Zotero won't work until 2.0b7.5.
  • no Dan, I am using b7.4 where do I find a dev build, I could not find an url with google...
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access#development_xpi
    but take the warnings on that page seriously.
  • beta2 is out. any info on when to expect an update from the zotero side?

thx
  • Dan has mentioned next week as the target for 2.0b7.5
  • most awesome - thx!
  • Thanks adamsmith, the dev trunk works nicely with Firefox 3.6b2

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5.8; en-US; rv:1.9.2b2) Gecko/20091108 Firefox/3.6b2
  • edited November 19, 2009
    The trunk won't install on 3.6b3, but I guess it is normal for now. Anyways, it seems Zotero 2.0b7.5 will be out before FF 3.6 final. Good job guys!
  • Mine works with FF3.6b3. Had to force install the trunk using "nightly tester tool" for FF but definitely works (and syncs online) with 3.6b3 (macintosh). Try reinstalling.
  • Now marked as compatible with 3.6b3.
  • 2.0b7.5, available now, is compatible with Firefox 3.6.
  • Tried Zotero with the latest beta of FF (3.6.b3, Mac) yesterday. Z worked fine but the OpenOffice Plug-in (3.0a5) was considered an incompatible add-on by FF. Gave up and returned to 3.5.5.
  • works fine for me.
  • @NoisyNarrowBand: the Open Office plugin works for you, with Firefox 3.6b3 and Zotero 2.0b7.5? It doesn't for me here. The plugin extension refuses to install, complaining it is not compatible with Firefox 3.6b3. Am I missing something?
  • Sorry, I was just referring to the main Zotero extension. None of the word processor plugins are yet marked as compatible with 3.6. WinWord and OpenOffice plugins might work if you override compatibility with Nightly Tester Tools. I believe MacWord won't work until a new version of PythonExt is built (and possibly fixed) for 3.6.
  • Ah. Nightly Tester Tools, that's a nice trick. I tried overriding version compatibility with the configuration described above (Firefox 3.6b3 and Zotero 2.0b7.5), and Open Office Integration 3.0a6.r5318. Firefox complains that it "could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor". Still some bits to work out, looks like.
  • dan,
    any idea on timeline for the word processor integration with 3.6?! I pretty much switched to 3.6b4 for daily browsing and would like to make the full move.

thx
  • edited December 7, 2009
    NoisyNarrowBand,

I used the extension Nightly Tester Tools to override compatibility for the Word Plugin with Firefox 3.6. It seems to work just fine!

Best,
    Lisa

P.S. Sorry. I should have specified that the forced install with Nightly Tester Tools is working for me with Firefox 3.6 beta and the latest Zotero with Word 2010 on Windows 7!
  • not worky on osx though.
  • edited January 20, 2010
    Success with the following configuration under Ubuntu Linux (jaunty):

Firefox 3.6
    Open Office 3.0.1
    Zotero 2.0b7r5614
    Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a6.r5318

Turns out a different Java plugin is required with FF 3.6, which the Firefox plugin search service was not turning up. The advice here got things going.

(EDIT: using Nightly Tester Tools to override compatibility for the OpenOffice Integration extension.)
  • Consolidating discussion of word processor plugin Fx3.6 compatibility:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10439/firefox-36/#Item_10
This discussion has been closed.