Publication links and attachments not refreshing after making changes

I have a number of PDF files attached to publications which I want to show up in my Publications listing. They were showing up just fine as links in the title of the article and all was good. Then I made some changes to the attachments and saved everything. Expected the Publications screen to refresh but it did not for the ones I'd changed. I think this happened to me once before and I figured it out, but now (getting old?) can't remember. Can anyone help?
  • edited April 6, 2022
    I want to show up in my Publications listing
    Do you mean on your Zotero profile page similar to this?

Changes need to be synced before the data on that page updates, check if maybe changes have not been synced for some reason?
  • edited April 7, 2022
    Yes I did mean on my Zotero profile page. Thanks for asking me to clarify. I hadn't remembered to check the synch issue - but now have done so. There were a couple unrelated synch problems, but I resolved them, and it still hasn't solved my profile page synch issues. I do have actual copies of the articles loaded into Zotero rather than storing these files on my computer and simply linking to them as is suggested in the Synch help file you referenced. Could this be the problem?

I think that this "failure to refresh" issue had happened once in the past when I made changes to the items in "My Publications" folder that shows up in my profile. I did something (that I can't remember) that finally - after much trying - made it work. Of course, I didn't write it down and now can't make it work and don't have any notes. Aggh.

Thanks.
  • I've figured out how to get the items to show up again as links in the My Publications area which appears on the My Profile page. I have to physically remove the item from the My Publications area (of course it still remains in my library, and re-enter it into the My Publications area. Once I do that (for each offending (changed) entry) it immediately is set right once I refresh the browser showing My Profile.

While I have figured it out and how to fix it, I don't understand it - it would seem that once a synch is done the entire library would be updated, and then so would the web page once it is refreshed. I'd love to have a better understanding of what is going on and how if at all I could do it better.
  • Not sure I understand this, but the next time it happens (or if it's still happening), we'd want an example from the page that isn't working.

Note that there's an option to show or hide attachment files from My Publications from the right-hand pane after clicking on an attachment item there.
  • It is not still happening in that I have made it all work.

But, now that I know what is happening and how to correct it, I can recreate the situation.

The original change I made to change the attached PDF from being the whole newsletter to only my article itself. So I changed the PDF itself - reducing its size. I did this by deleting the attached PDF, then re-attached the changed version.

My assumption was that the link would be maintained - or that by synching that the revised document would show up. It did not. It didn’t reflect the change using Synch either.

The only way I’ve found to fix this is:
    1) I “Remove the item from My Publications” tab – and it is no longer present in “My Profile” online.
    2) I go to it in its original folder and delete the attachment.
    3) I then attach a different attachment to the item. (Different meaning it is the same PDF with just fewer pages. I may or may not have changed the PDF name as well. I’m not sure about that.
    4) I then move the entire item back to “My Publications” folder. Then I am presented with the standard prompts of do I include attachments, am I the author, do I have permission to post it, etc.
    5) Once I do that, the item is added to the “My Profile” online and everything is ok.

I am aware of the show/hide attachment files option after adding an attachment. My objective is to have a place where people interested in my research can readily see what I've done and readily retrieve (via link) the article so they can read it.
  • I think this is still a misunderstanding. You don't need to remove and drag again. A new attachment added to an item already in My Publications just wouldn't automatically be shared, so you would have to set it to show from the right-hand pane in My Publications.
  • Completely missed seeing that in the right-hand pane of My Publications. Thanks very much.
  • Need help again - I have added a new publication to the My Publications folder - it has a linked PDF attachment. After having done that, and completing the standard prompts of am I the author, do I include attachments, do I have permission to post it, etc., it is added to my Zotero profile page online. But I am unable to get the publication to be a link to the actual journal article - so that when someone clicks the link, the document opens. I have refreshed the entry using the right-hand pane green circular arrow in My Publications (after I've highlighted the article in the middle pane). After doing that, I refresh the web page but cannot get it to generate a link to the actual document. I chose include files and I created this work in the lead-in pop-up screen. Would appreciate some hand holding on this.
  • Only stored files sync to Zotero servers, so if you want the file to be accessible, you'll need to make it a stored file via Tools → Manage Attachments → Convert Linked Files to Stored Files.
  • Thank you very much.