Converting Word doc with Mendeley citations to Zotero?

I am converting from Mendeley to Zotero. I have exported by references from Mendeley and imported them to Zotero. All good.

Now, I have a paper I was in the middle of writing that uses Mendeley for citations. Is there some way to convert that to Zotero without deleting and re-inserting all the citations manually?
  • edited March 9, 2023
    First, to be clear, you don't want to export and import from Mendeley. If that's what you did, you should clear your Zotero database and use the official importer.

[Update, March 2023: Removed note about existing documents. Zotero can now automatically relink Mendeley citations in existing documents.]
  • Hi! For some reason, Zotero isn't linking Mendeley citations in my word document. I imported my mendeley citations from the zotero app (latest version). Any help?
  • edited April 14, 2023
    @omarou: Zotero can't currently reuse citations created with Mendeley Cite, only Mendeley Desktop.
  • I see, thanks
  • It is absolutely incredible how shitty mendeley has become. I am so screwed.. I am in the middle of writing, against a hard deadline, and this program is pure sabotage and an awful stressor..
  • @acampo1984: You realize these are the Zotero Forums?

If you want to switch to Zotero, you can import your library using Zotero's built-in importer:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/mendeley_import

You just can't reuse citations created with Mendeley Cite, so if that's what you're using you'd have to replace those citations using the Zotero plugin.