Notes appear blank after update to Zotero 6

Hi,

After updating my Zotero to now 6.0.4, some of my original notes that I had attached to files before the 6.0 update now appear blank.

I open Zotero.
I search for the name of an author and click on expand to see the attachment to the reference.
I see a list of notes with the first sentence that I wrote in that note.
Four of the six notes open as usual and I can read my notes.
Two of the six notes do open but show an empty note, while they did have text before the update. The first sentence of the original text of the note is still shown in the library list of the reference.

Does anybody know what could be the problem here? Thanks!

Sara
  • First, immediately go into your Zotero data directory and make a backup of all .sqlite and .bak files. If this just happened, you'll be able to restore the note from that if necessary.

Then, assuming you're using syncing, go to the note on the web library. Is it empty there as well? What's the URL in the address bar while viewing it?
  • Thank you.
    You are right, the note still exists online and is just not showing in the Zotero app.
    This is the URL: https://www.zotero.org/xx/search/xx/titleCreatorYear/items/HTHBJ5FN/note/DE2L7P7K/item-list

I might just fix it as I find blank notes and copy the online text back into Zotero as a new note, as I don't know for how many notes and exactly which ones this is the case..
  • edited April 11, 2022
    Did you change it? We'd like to debug this so it doesn't affect others, but if you already edited the note, we wouldn't be able to do that.
  • I added new notes to the existing file. I am unable to edit the appearing as blank note as it shows just a blank page (not the usual editing icons either).

What further information will you need to debug this?
  • OK, we've identified the problem here and will have a fix soon — thanks.
  • @saravdh: This is fixed in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in Zotero 6.0.5.
  • @saravdh: Zotero 6.0.5 is out now with this fix.