Migrating preferences and profile of Zotero 4 for Firefox to another location for use with Zotero 6

I need to migrate the preferences and profile (not just the data directory and zotero.sqlite) of Zotero 4 for Firefox to the relevant folder of Zotero 6, in order to avoid manually setting Zotero's preferences one-by-one in the UI window (when eyeballing two preferences UI windows of Zotero 4 and 6, and copying the checkboxes & text fields from one preferences UI window to the other).

For my use case, I noticed that some preferences of Zotero 4 for Firefox are stored in \PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile\prefs.js, which also contains quite a lot of other settings for Firefox portable and other extensions. However, preferences of Zotero 5 & 6 are stored in \PortableApps\ZoteroPortable\Data\Mozilla\Profile\prefs.js, which doesn't contain too many stuffs other than those related to Zotero. So how can I migrate the preferences of Zotero 4 for Firefox to another location for use with Zotero 6 (without setting them one-by-one manually by eyeballing 2 UI windows)?

I have this concern because for Zotero Better Bibtex, its preferences UI window & tabs contain too many options to manually set one-by-one, and I have too many automatic export in Better Bibtex, which is impractical to manually set one-by-one. It seems that Better Bibtex has a "better-bibtex" folder and several "betterbibtex.sqlite.bak"-like files under my Zotero data directory \PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile\zotero. If the automatic exports are stored in these files & folder, then probably it's OK to simply copy all the contents from the old Zotero data directory to the new one for Zotero 6 (but please correct me if it's not the case). But if the automatic exports are stored in somewhere else, it would be a nightmare, and I've no idea about how to migrate them...

Thanks in advance!
  • There's only one prefs.js file, in the active profile directory. We can't help with an unofficial build of Zotero.
  • edited April 5, 2022
    I have the old prefs.js in \PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile\, and according to https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/profile_directory, the prefs.js used by Zotero 5 & 6 (official build) is stored in the profile directory C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\[randomstring] (whereas for portable build - https://github.com/pedrom34/ZoteroPortable/, it's in \PortableApps\ZoteroPortable\Data\Mozilla\Profile\).

So now if I simply copy this old prefs.js used by Zotero 4 for Firefox from \PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile\ to C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\[randomstring] (or \PortableApps\ZoteroPortable\Data\Mozilla\Profile\ for the portable build), will that work? Or in other words, will all preferences of Zotero be migrated to version 6? And since the old prefs.js used by Zotero 4 for Firefox contains quite a lot of other settings for Firefox portable and other extensions, will this create any conflicts or similar (if I simply copy this old prefs.js to Zotero 6's profile directory)?
  • I wouldn't do that, no. All of Zotero's own prefs begin with extensions.zotero.. Plugins likely have prefixes of their own. So I would just copy those lines.
  • Thanks a lot for your prompt reply! I'll try it following your suggestion, and hopefully it will work without any problem or conflict.