Perlego import translator

Hello all,

would anybody fancy building a translator for Perlego? https://www.perlego.com/

I'll also message them to improve the metadata on their pages, but at the moment, looks like a translator is needed.

• (decent metadata in JSON-LD; also looks like they might be using CSL for generating citations under the hood)
  • thanks for the thread ... is there a simple way to import perlego citations to Zotero yet?
    If I represent it as a web link the publisher does not show?

thanks
  • Hi @paulofp and @bjohas - a translator is now available for Perlego. Your Zotero Connector should have already auto-updated to include it, but just in case it hasn't, you can also update manually by clicking "Update Translators" in the "Advanced" pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you encounter any issues with it!
  • That's amazing, thank you! Apologies for slow reply - works nicely, many thanks @brendanoconnell!
  • Hi @brendanoconnell - I am fairly new to Zotero having moved over from Mendeley recently. I have read and highlighted a number of sources on Perlego and I want to know how and if I can import the citation info into zotero automatically and also my highlights? I have installed the Zotero connector on chrome, but I don't think it works. Given your conversation above, please can you explain a bit more about this? Many thanks.
  • Hi @judymarie. Welcome :)

The importer/browser plugin only imports the publication metadata. For example, if you visit this link https://www.perlego.com/book/686476/, you can tap the little book in your browser tool bar to import the bibliographic information for that item (authors, title, etc) into Zotero.

However, the importer doesn't allow you to transfer the highlights. None of the Zotero importers do.

To get highlights into Zotero, you do need to have the item in Zotero, e.g., as a PDF. If the PDF has higglights already, ZotFile can extract highlights. Otherwise, if you annotate PDF in Zotero, Zotero shows those highlights, and those an be copied to notes.

One service that lets you extract annotations is Google Books. There's a way of setting it up so that you can extract highlights into Google Docs.

I hope that's helpful!