Workflow question

I want to use Zotero to organize and catalogue a large number of academic articles in pdf form. Specifically, I want to: (1) create bibliographical entries for the articles by extracting metadata, and (2) link the pdfs to the entries, but store them in a folder on my OneDrive, *not* in Zotero's internal storage (i.e. I want them to be linked not attached).
After some experimentation, I have discovered that the following workflow seems to do what I want:
1) Move each pdf into Zotero and let the program create an entry for it. This achieves (1) but moves the pdf to Zotero's internal storage, which I don't want.
2) Use Zotfile's 'rename and move attachment' command to move the attached file to the location on my OneDrive.
My question is whether this is a sound workflow or whether it has hidden drawbacks. In particular, I see that it leaves behind a randomly named folder for each pdf in Zotero's internal storage, containing files named .zotero-ft-cache and .zotero-ft-info.
Are these folders simply relics of step (1) where I imported the pdfs to Zotero's internal storage? And if so, can I safely delete them without affecting the bibliographic entries and links that I want to keep?
Finally, is there a simpler way of achieving what I want to do?
I'd be very grateful for any advice you may have!
  • There's no particular problem with the workflow, no, though I don't think you really need Zotfile: You can just start with the PDFs in your OneDrive folder and add them as links to Zotero -- Zotero will still be able to retrieve metadata and you don't need to manually trigger ZotFile's rename.

You can either use the "Link to File" option under the green + sign or drag with modifier keys (Ctrl+Shift (Windows/Linux) or Cmd+Option (Mac)) to do that.

The empty folder handles the indexing for Zotero, so you want to keep that in place and it doesn't do any harm.
  • Thank you for your reply, which is very helpful. I like to use ZotFile because it allows more flexible renaming and will rename and move my pdfs with one click. But I see now that I should be linking in step 1. That is, I should be using Ctrl+Shift while dragging at step 1. That seems to do just what I want.