New Zotero PDF-reader and Scannable Cite (ODF scan)

Hi!

I'm exploring the usefulness of the new PDF-reader, to see whether it will speed up my workflow, when compared to using the Skim PDF-reader that I've been using.

In the new PDF reader there is a neat function for copying citations/highlighted/notes, and the default behavior seems to be to always (?) copy a text such as:

"lorem ipsum etc text highlighted in the PDF" (Adams, 2002, p. 2)

i.e. using the Author-Date, format.

I'm using the Scannable Cite and would love it if the copied text would use that, as in:

"lorem ipsum etc text highlighted in the PDF" { | Adams, 2002 | p. 2 | |zu:5100435:LG785Y7T}

Is this possible out of the box? I haven't found out how to config this.

If not possible, what kind of format templates would I need to manipulate to get it to work?

Thanks!

• Definitely not out of the box, and I don't think this can be done without an add-on.
  • We're planning to support converting those citations to pandoc citations on Markdown export. It's possible we can add a hook to allow a plugin to customize that, or maybe even support some sort of template to customize it without a plugin.
  • Thanks for the responses.

It would certainly be great if the function could make use of the existing templates, and simply utilize the format set up for the Quick Copy in the Export settings (provided it could somehow get the page number in there as well).
  • Somehow I had previously managed to get a different format when I dragged annotations from Zotero's native PDF viewer on desktop to another text application. But I don't remember exactly how I did it. I use the Better BibTex for Zotero extension -- maybe this had something to do with it?

I could drag it into a markdown editor and it would produce proper markdown text with working links. It generated text in the same format at this example below.

Here is my annotation. This is the text excerpt I had highlighted. (pdf)

(Author, 2015, p. 72)

Here is my annotation. This is the text excerpt I had highlighted ([pdf](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/9PSKR4YM?page=3&annotation=4NA4ZNHH))

([Author, 2015, p. 72](zotero://select/library/items/KA28QF4V))

Recently I changed a bunch of my settings and the drag-and-drop annotations have reverted to the format described in the OP.

I would like to adjust my settings so that it produces drag-and-drop quotes with automatic hyperlinks to select the item in Zotero and open the PDF like I showed in the example above -- but I can't remember how.

• Did you find out the answer? Am wondering the same thing...