libary: collection duplicates after update to 2.0

I just upgraded from 1.0.10 to 2.0b7.4 and word plugin 3.0a6 on osx 10.5.8., firefox 3.5.4. with word 2004.

everything works fine and dandy but now my library is full with duplicates and triplicates of my collections. there is no apparent pattern to this, some appear not to be duplicated, other appear three times and so forth.

also not all collections of the same name contain identical data so that I can't just delete every second one.

is there any way to get rid of this, maybe by merging collections of the same name?!

thx
  • Did you merge several copies of Zotero libraries from different computers? This would just combine all the libraries. Zotero does not throw out items it thinks might be duplicates when syncing.

There is no particularly easy way to purge duplicates. The best options are generally to use Zotero's various sorting options, by title, by author, by date added, to sift through the library and find duplicates. Alongside this you can also quickly check which collections an item is in. To see all the collections an item is in, select the item and then hold down the “Option” key on Macs or the “Control” key on Windows or the “Alt” key on Linux. This will highlight all collections that contain the selected item.
  • no I didn't merge libraries. this was a vanilla zotero 1.0.10 installation that I had worked with the past year or so. its a mess now...
  • The only way this can happen is by upgrading to 2.0 on separate computers (or the same computer more than once) and syncing with the server.

All of your items on the server—many of them duplicates—have server modification dates from November 2008 and April 2009, so this was seemingly not the first time you upgraded and synced. The server doesn't show any new data since April. So apparently you synced separately upgraded libraries in the past, and the library you just upgraded now has the data pulled down from the server. (The fact that the server isn't showing any new data suggests that you might be getting an upload error after the client has pulled the data from the server.)

Assuming you have a backup of your 1.0 data directory (as the upgrade instructions advise), you can perform the following steps:

1) Disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.

2) Close Firefox and make a backup of your Zotero data directory.

3) Delete your Zotero data directory and start Firefox. This should give you an empty Zotero library.

4) Use Reset to Zotero Server in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences. This should clear your library data on zotero.org. You can verify this on the site.

5) Close Firefox and copy your 1.0 data directory back into place.

6) Open Firefox to upgrade it again.

7) Sync with the server.
  • dan,
    thank you for your quick reply and detailed how-to! I do have a backup of my 1.0 directory and will try as suggested.

had tested 2.0 in earlier incarnations on a secondary account on my computer using a copy of my zotero files. was not happy with the need to use word 2008. hence kept 1.0 in my main account. didn't reflect that the library on zotero.org was still there and would be added in the upgrade process - well its all logical now ;)

didn't get an upload error btw.

thx again and all the best
  • this worked fine. library looks great again! I was astonished to see that my zotero folder is about 400mb. thats huge.

sync unfortunately now throws the tag to long error. looking into that.
  • found the culprit, sync went through & everything is perfect now!

thx again! this is a great app and a great community!