Sync + Group Library

I just started using Zotero and I am at the stage of exploring for use in research and teaching. I have two issues:
- Sync: I can see all items properly synced in My Library, but on each computer I use I see only the items entered on each one. There is no syncing on the computer itself.

- group library: I created a test group with its own library. I have not found how to add items to the group library. All I see on my computer is My Library. I am fully puzzled (or dumb as hell) but I found no info about creating a group library with content.

If you can point to past discussions or help. I went through archives, again without finding a clue. Thanks

Chris
  • Regarding sync: do you see the items from each of your libraries on the website, or is it just one of them? Check to make sure you have the correct username and password in sync tab of your preferences on each computer you are syncing.

Once you join a group, or create it it will appear underneath your library in the left column. See http://www.zotero.org/support/groups

I would also recommend making sure you have not created two user accounts. This has confused some users. Just make sure that the username and password on each copy of Zotero and the username and password you are using with the Zotero website are identical.
  • Sync: this issue of two user accounts may be the explanation. I may have created a different one the first time I registered with Zotero. Yet I can't remember what I used. Any way to retrieve this info? Indeed on double check I see only the items from one computer.

Group: I know the link and read a few times. The issue is that the group library does not appear in the left column after I created a group. It's sort of frustrating.

This is my second attempt to use Zotero and first serious attempt to engage with it. I may as well give up using it beyond personal research.
  • If you do indeed have two amounts this could answer why you are not seeing your items in your groups. You can try to retrieve the other account by logging out and trying a few different email addresses you might have used to create the other account. That part doesn't really matter though. Just make sure that the account you are syncing from on each computer is the same account you are logging into on the Zotero website. Check the sync pane in the preferences of each of your computers, are they all set to ankeqiang? When your sure they are try hitting the sync button next to the Zotero full screen button in the right top corner of your Zotero pane.
  • Thanks again. Indeed this is working now that I went over the two computers, logged in with the same account and ran the sync. The group library is now visible. I'll keep exploring and using Zotero.
  • In order to have library items appear in the group library you need to manually copy=drag them there in Zotero. Only then they will be available to other group-members and yourself.
    I too had to digg into the manual to understand this. I think most people collaborating in a group would wish that new items in their personal library would automatically be added to the group library as well. I wonder what would be the easiest way to regularly sync new items to the group library?