Problem with database and attachments on different drives

Hi,
I tried to store the database on ssd (c:\, for fast operation) and attachments on a mechanical drive (d:\, cheap and slow storage). I therefore set the 'linked attachment base directory' to D:\Users\username\Zotero and the data directory location (for the database file) to the default C:\Users\username\Zotero

I now have the situation that new attachments are stored on the ssd (c: drive).
All old attachments are greyed out in the library view and 'show file' in the attachment context menu gives a 'file not found' error.
However, double-clicking an attachments opens it from the mechanical D: drive and copies it to the c: drive.
(I'm on version 6.0.3 now)

I do not understand this behaviour and wonder if it is a bug.
On the other hand: is it at all possible to store the database and attachments on different drives? How?

Best regards,
Paul van der Hulst
  • One correction: on double-clicking the files are probably simply re-downloaded from my webdav storage rather than the d: drive.

Paul
  • No, you're just misunderstanding what those settings do. You can't have Zotero storage and Zotero's database in different locations.

The linked attachments base directory is for setting the base directory of linked files, which you'd either link manually or via ZotFile. Linked files are not an option if you want to use WebDAV or Zotero File Storage syncing (which I'd very much recommend).
  • Ah, thanks, I totally forgot about 'linked' attachments.
    My mistake, sorry for the trouble.

Best regards,
    Paul