HELP! Can't go forward, Can't go back

I made a big mistake in installing the beta, hoping it would solve some problems with ODT documents. But OpenOffice won't recognize the new zotero, no matter how many times I uninstall/reinstall start/stop reboot. I always get the same message, that the versions are incompatible. But when I try to uninstall the new and re-install the old, it tells me that the data base is now incompatible. I can't go forward, I can't go back. All my work is destroyed. Can somebody help?
  • hoping it would solve some problems with ODT documents.
    What specific problems are these?
    I always get the same message, that the versions are incompatible.
    There is a version of the OO.o plugin that is compatible with the beta version of Zotero.
    But when I try to uninstall the new and re-install the old, it tells me that the data base is now incompatible.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version
  • Yes, I have installed the OO.o plugin over and over again. Installed it, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, rebooted, restarted, everything I can think of. The link you provided says that once you've gone forward, you can never go back unless you have a backup of the old version, which I don't. I have thousands of footnotes, and I can't publish without them. All of my work is lost.
  • John: First, take a breath. Your work isn't lost.

What's the exact "incompatible" error message you receive after installing 2.0 and the 2.0-compatible plugin?
  • I uninstall everything and reinstall the latest components. In trying to add a new citation, nothing happens. In trying to edit an existing citiation I get "This version of Zotero word processing plugin (1.0b4) is incompatible with the currently installed version of Firefox Zotero (2.ob7.4)"

For some reason, unintalling the old doesn't uninstall it, and installing the new doesn't install it.
  • If you're getting this message, then you either haven't removed the old OO plugin or you're installing the wrong version.

The new plugin should remove the old automatically, but, to be sure, just uninstall the old plugin completely from OpenOffice via the Extension Manager and make sure it's gone from the toolbar. Then, and only then, try to reinstall the 2.0-compatible version.
  • Okay, I used the extension manager in OO to remove all of zotero, then re-installed the add-in, but it doesn't show up, either in the tool bar or in the extension manager.
  • Okay, I went to Firefox and re-installed the OO extension. That put it in the OO toolbar. But now when I try to add a citation, I get, "Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not communicate with OpenOffice.org because the Java UNO runtime directory specified in the Zotero OpenOffice Integration preferences does not contain a "ridl.jar" file.

See the Zotero word processor plugin troubleshooting page for information on how to locate the appropriate directory"
  • edited October 26, 2009
    What OS is this?

If Linux, see http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#openoffice_plug-in_directory_paths
  • What version of OpenOffice are you running?

This error likely indicates a problem in your OpenOffice installation, and reinstalling OpenOffice or upgrading to the latest version may fix it.
  • I re-installed JAVA, but this ridl.jar file is still nowhere to be found. What is the java UNO directory and where does one find it, and what does one do after one finds it?
  • Uninstall OO, reboot, and reinstall OO.
  • edited October 26, 2009
    Please don't create additional threads for the same issue.
  • point the java path to C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\URE\java