Bug report: Zotero Connector download prevent collection changes

Report ID: 406766911

When importing a large size pdf file (such as this paper) in slow network connection, Zotero Connector already pull the paper information, but may spend more time for downloading the attachment.

Before download complete, moving the paper to other collection succeed in the beginning, but will automatically be moved back to the original collection after downloading.

Steps to reproduce:
1. import a paper with Zotero Connector; (with a large attachment, and maybe slow network connection)
2. after the paper (without attachment) imported, move to other collection;
3. wait for attachment

then the paper will be automatically move back to the previous collection.

version => 6.0.1, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0.1, extensions => ZotFile (5.1.0, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (6.2.10, extension), scite Plugin for Zotero (1.11.2, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.6.0.1, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.19.SA.6.0.1, extension)
  • We'll look into it.
  • @alexdai039: To clarify, are you moving the item to a different collection from the Connector or from the Zotero desktop app? If you're moving it in the desktop app, you should just do it from the Connector instead (with the dropdown to the right of "Saving to"; click the down arrow button for a full list of your libraries and collections). We can look into better handling items being moved inside Zotero while attachments are being downloaded, but the Connector's library/collection selector is the best way to do what you're doing.
  • @AbeJellinek , thanks for replying!

For clarify, this behavior happens in desktop version. Yes, I know I can change the collection with the drop down option in Connector.

And one more piece of information for targeting this issue: not just "move", but "assigning" to multiple collections by drag and drop has the same issue!

This is actually quite annoying for me. Please think about this scenario, you need to import series of papers, after carefully confirm which collection the paper belongs, you drag and assign multiple collection for it (I can not do with tag for some reason), then you go for other papers. HOWEVER, after a while, you find the paper receive a new pdf, and the collections DISAPPEAR! You then have to do it again...

Look forward to a solution for this, and thanks!
  • Btw, i upgraded to the latest 6.0.4.