Move from iCloud for Zotero 6?

I've been using my iCloud storage for Zotero up until now, by way of ZotFile, to save pfds onto my local storage and backup to icloud. I understand this maybe not be possible ore liable with Zotero or, more importantly, that I won't be able to sync highlights and annotations across from Zotero iOS and the desktop version. Is that correct? I'd be happy to revert to Zotero storage. However - and forgive me being not technically savvy - how can I migrate my existing Zotero library and pdfs from iCloud without any issues?
  • And I should say that Zotero 6 is really impressive - so many features I've used across various apps. It is so great to have so many of them available in the one system and a great way to centralise all my research, note taking and annotations. Thank you so much!
  • Correct, the iOS app doesn't support linked files.

You can do this with Tools → Manage Attachment → Convert Linked Files to Stored Files.
  • Thank you. Does that option and Zotero storage allow me to both store a local copy on my main computer as well as storing and syncing versions to Zotero's storage?
  • Many thanks again. I didn't want to unlink the existing files until all had safely copied over. Can I also unlink en masse or will I need to do one by one?
  • And apologies for all the questions - can I/should I now remove Zotfile? Thanks for all your help too - I appreciate it.
  • edited March 23, 2022
    Does that option and Zotero storage allow me to both store a local copy on my main computer as well as storing and syncing versions to Zotero's storage?
    Not totally sure what you mean by that. But see Stored Files and Linked Files, which might help clarify.
    Can I also unlink en masse or will I need to do one by one?
    What do you mean by unlink? If you're referring to the option to delete the linked files when converting, and you left that off, you'd have to go delete the files manually on disk.
    can I/should I now remove Zotfile?
    If you don't need the linked-file features, sure.
  • That's great - thanks ever so much.