iPad app questions

Love Zotero 6 and the new reader! Not sure whether I will like not having my annotations visible in Mac Preview or any other PDF reader, so not sure whether to use the reader or stick to my usual (iPad) pdf reader and then extract annotations in a note in Zotero desktop.

Would love to use iPad for Zotero reading/annotating but am so reluctant to move my library from iCloud to Zotero where there it will be much harder to find, organise and open with anything except Zotero. I wish iPad would work with linked files so I can keep my library where it is.

Right now I use Z-desktop to choose the file I want to read. I then check the file name (love the rename file based on parent info- feature). Then go to iPad, open my PDF reader app, then find the file in iCloud to read it. I annotate, then open Zotero desktop again, find the file, create a note from the annotations. Sometimes I copy and paste the note into a note taking app like Notion so it stays together with other research material. If there is an easier way to do this, let me know!

iPad app question: is the second icon (capital A and text stripes) a continuous read mode? How is it different from just page views? For many texts it won’t work and just shows me a single letter on each line.

I like the dark mode but, ALAS, like most readers it also ruins any images in the text (and there are many for me) so that makes it useless for me. If ever you guys find a way to keep images in its original un-reverted state, that would be great.

Dumb question probably, but when using the iPad app: will files get downloaded and use iPad storage? How to manage that?

• it will be much harder to find, organise and open with anything except Zotero
    Note that PDFs still show up in Spotlight with clear filenames, and Zotero has more advanced organization/search features than Finder. See Stored Files and Linked Files for more details.
    iPad app question: is the second icon (capital A and text stripes) a continuous read mode?
    It's a reader mode, similar to that offered by browsers (but a much harder problem to solve). It tries to interpret the PDF and show readable text. That won't work on all files.
    will files get downloaded and use iPad storage? How to manage that?
    Files are downloaded on-demand. You can remove downloads individually or remove all downloaded files in a library to free up space. It will probably be possible to manage how many days to keep downloaded files in a future version.
  • Thank you for that!
    I am going to use a combo of Zotero and a PDF reader for a while and see which suits me best. My main objection is still the local library being hard to access outside of Zotero. I’d prefer it to work like Adobe Lightroom where original files stay in place (I use mainly linked files for now). But the Safari extension is reallllly handy and that doesn’t make linked files so we’ll see which method wins out. I found the storage management in the zotero app - thanks for that.
    Very much appreciate Zotero, it makes life so much easier. Thanks!!