very slow snapshots

Hello,
I use zotero since about 8 months. My zotero file is up to 700 Mo and 58000 docs. I use zotero 2.0b7.4.
It is very long when I try to add new snapshot or when I just display the zotero tool.
I wonder if the slowness is due to vista or can be related to some zotero options like Sync which as I saw is responsible for some trouble, or may be the indexing function (I have 39000 words indexed).
It's now becoing quite uncomfortable to work with it, though I find the device very very useful.
I'd appreciate any help or advice.
  • You can set the indexing settings to 0 in the Search pane of the Zotero preferences and then save a snapshot to see if it's the full-text indexing that's slowing it down.

(Do you mean that your zotero.sqlite file is 700MB, or the entire Zotero data directory?)
  • thank you
    zotero.sqlite is 15000 ko.
    I tried what you say but I again have a long time when going back to zotero.
  • Generate debug output for the save from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here, and we'll take a look.
  • thnak you
    here it is:
    (4)(+0000000): Registering observer for [collection,search,share,group,bucket] in notifier with hash EB'

(5)(+0000002): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name FROM itemTypes WHERE display=2 ORDER BY typeName

(5)(+0000002): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name FROM itemTypes WHERE display=1 ORDER BY typeName

Just let me add another symptom : when i try to click on the zotero pane or one a webpage which i want to add, then it slows. And sometimes, it so long that firefox says it doesn't answer (in French : Firefow ne répond pas - i don't know what's the message in english).
  • No—clear and enable debug output, save a snapshot, and then submit the output and post the Debug ID (not the debug output itself) here.
  • Thank you Dan,
    I'm sorry but I don't understand how to find the Debug ID itself?
  • There's a "Submit to Zotero Server" button. Press it after generating the output for the save. It will give you the Debug ID.
  • So this is a new Debug ID
  • edited October 25, 2009
    Hmm? The Debug ID is a long number.
  • sorry : The Debug ID is D1050211875
  • If auto-sync is enabled, it happens when you open the Zotero pane and 15 seconds after any edit. It looks like your syncs are reaching your Zotero File Storage quota (which is limited to 100MB at the moment), and so Zotero is trying to sync all the remaining files every time and failing. Disable "Sync automatically" from the Sync pane of the Zotero prefs and let us know if that was the slowdown you were seeing.

We'll change Zotero not to try to sync files every time after an auto-sync returns a quota error.
  • Thank you Dan,
    I have disabled that option and it seems to work faster for now at least.
    As for syncing, should i do it manually at the end of each session, for instance?
    Do you advise me to resume full-text indexing also?