Too many errors in Zotero 6

Hello, good morning,
Zotero 6 is giving me many errors on my Mac.
I ask where I can find the link of the previous version, to uninstall Zotero 6.
Best regards
Sérgio Pires Brás
  • edited March 19, 2022
    You'll need to say more. Zotero 6 has been in beta for a year and is very stable. Old versions are unsupported and will stop syncing. If you actually want something fixed, you need to report it.

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • The error message that has appeared dozens of times and won't allow me to continue writing:

"Zotero has detected an error when updating your document" (in portuguese language).

I need help very urgently. I've been stuck for about two hours!
  • edited March 19, 2022
    See the page I linked to, which explains what we need to help you, starting with a Report ID.

If it works in a new document and you're getting an error only in an existing document, see Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents.

If it's happening in a new document as well, we need to see the Report ID to say more.
  • It's a document I started writing a few months ago and never gave problems with the previous version of Zotero.
    I believe the report is ID 1104710008.
  • edited March 19, 2022
    [JavaScript Error: "item ID '1616' is not an integer (string)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/dataObjects.js" line: 178}]
    [JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @ [checkFieldIntegrity:field.m:156]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 264}]
    Yes, but you should test in a new document. If it works there, follow the steps I linked to above for fixing your existing document.

If it doesn't work in a new document either, let us know.
  • I have already followed these steps.
    I have even split the file and the problem is still there.
  • edited March 19, 2022
    We need an answer as to whether it works in a new document. The longer you don't answer that, the longer this is going to take.

And the debugging steps explain how to cut the document down very quickly until you find the section that causes the problem. Unless you can remove everything in the document and still can't insert a new citation, the problem is fixable in your existing document.
  • In a new document it seems to be working. But I didn't insert many quotes.
    In the old document, it also seems to be working after page 10. But on the initial pages it always gives the same error.
  • edited March 19, 2022
    OK, so follow the last step on the debugging page. It explains how you can very quickly cut the document down until you can find the problem, which you can then fix in the original document.

You can send the smallest possible section that still reproduces the error to support@zotero.org with a link to this page and we can take a look, but the fastest solution will be following those steps to identify the broken section yourself (though you should also send that to us so we can fix any bug here).
  • Hello, good morning
    I am managing to solve the problem (temporarily) as follows: If I include a new reference in a note that already exists, Zotero gives an error. So, I enter a new note (Zotero doesn't give an error) and then I copy the new citation to the previous note.
    So far it's working.
    Is it possible to find a definitive solution?
  • For us to help you, you need to send us a document excerpt that reproduces the problem, as I explain above.
  • Ok. I'll send it now to support@zotero.org.
  • I have already sent it.
  • Thanks. Can you tell us (here or via email) the exact steps to reproduce the problem in that document?
  • @SergioPiresBras: It looks like you're using a custom style. Does it happen with a different style?
  • I don't know, because I've been using this style for over a year (in previous versions of Zotero), and I've never had any problems.
  • I'm just suggesting you switch to a different style to test. You can do so in a copy of the document.

Can you also email us the style you're using? You can find it in the 'styles' folder of your Zotero data directory.
  • I have already sent it.
  • First, just to note, your style isn't valid:

https://validator.citationstyles.org/

You would've gotten an error installing it in Zotero. You need to change "et al." to "et-al".

But I can still reproduce the error after fixing that. We'll investigate. Thanks for sending the excerpt.
  • Thank you for your reply.
    I will make that change.
    But in previous versions of Zotero never appeared this error!!!
  • Right, which is why we're going to fix it.
  • Hello, good morning,
    I was writing all day yesterday and I confirm: the problem appears when I try to put a new quote in a note that already exists. But the problem no longer exists if I put the same quote in a new note.
    Then I copy/paste the quote in the new note into the note that already exists.
    I ask if this hint helps you to solve the problem?
  • This should be fixed now in Zotero 6.0.1, available via Help → Check for Updates.
  • Ok. Thank you.
    I'll try it and then I'll confirm if it was solved.
  • Hello, good evening,
    I've been working on the same file for over three hours and so far zero errors!!!
    I think the problem has been solved.
    I thank you very much for your very quick reply.
This discussion has been closed.