Bug/Feature: Locate button won't go to item URL

The Locate button options (I think new in 2.0) don't allow for you to visit the web url atually recorded within the item. For example, if I make an item from a blog post, I can't use "Locate" to just go back there - I am only offered Wayback Machine (which often doesn't even have it). Similarly, for open access journal articles, etc, where I'd rather just go directly back to the URL by hitting a Locate option than perform a "Library Lookup".
  • If there's no attached snapshot and there's a URL is in the URL field, click View (or double-click on the item in the center pane). If there's a snapshot and the button says "View Snapshot", click the "URL" label to go to the live site.
  • Thanks for your reply, Dan - I would never have guessed that the "URL" label acts as a hyperlink (although now I see that the cursor changes as I mouseover it). Shouldn't it also be an option on the Locate menu just to make it easier to find? It doesn't make much sense to me that "Wayback" is there but "Original" isn't.
  • Locate is really meant for looking up related resources (and there are plans to offer more options), but it's possible View should be a menu if there's both a URL and a snapshot.

Again, though—if there's not a snapshot, View just goes to the URL.
  • Wow, that's neat that clicking on "URL" takes you to the URL! I agree with cartesian, though -- I had no idea that it would do that, so I came here specifically to request a way to get to the URL with a single click, preferably with the Locate button. I've got my preferences set to always take a snapshot, so the "View Snapshot" button always says "View Snapshot" and when clicked always opens the snapshot. (Maybe I should turn that off in the prefs.)

Still, maybe you could make the URL label more obviously clickable? Turn it blue or something? Just a thought. :) Thanks!
  • Yes, there's an open ticket to provide a better visual indicator for the URL label. An option to choose between using the URL and the snapshot for double-clicking and the View button has also been discussed.