Zotero 6 store annotations

Congrats on the release and thank you devs for all the work!

Currently, to convert zotero-based annotations into actual pdf comments, I would open one pdf and select File > Store annotations in file. Sometimes I need to do this in batch. I was wondering could this function be added to the context menu in the main window when I select one or multiple items? (even better, option to store annotation either in the original pdf or in a new suffixed pdf, like zotfile did for retrieving modified files from tablet)

Also, it would be great if there's a tag automatically added for those items with zotero-based annotations (like zotfile did for modified files), because if I still want to use external pdf readers on PC, and I make changes using the new pdf reader on the mobile, I will not be able to know which items are changed.

Thanks.
  • I also would love to be able to store the annotations in the file by a mechanism other than one at a time.
  • Hello,

I wanted to post on a similar topic without starting a new thread.

With the new version of Zotero, I now only use Zotero and Word, I don't need any other programs and the Zotero pdf reader is great.

However, since I may need to use my research PDFs on other Zotero N/A computers, is it possible to have the "Store annotations in file" feature in a shortcut like the right mouse button menu on the pdf screen? Or like putting it in the upper bar...

Thanks.
  • "Export PDF" is available in the File menu. That does store annotation in the PDF -- is that sufficient or do you need something else?
  • edited March 28, 2022
    I mean, let's say we made some highlights on the pdf we read and we want to save it directly into the file so that we can use it in other readers in the future.

For this, it would be a nice QoL if the "Store annotations in file" feature had a shortcut in the menu that opens directly on the right mouse button (just like zoom in, zoom out, automatically resize, zoom to page width, next page, previous page features).

Or maybe in middle toolbar (which has page number, search button, highlight text buttun, pick a color button, etc...).
  • You can just disable the build-in pdf annotator and use an external one.

There are discussions about this before, I remember the main reason is that notes need to be in the database to support some advanced Zotero functions like searching (not sure about my memory).

I highly doubt there will be an option for exporting the notes in batch any time soon, because it could be a dangerous process.
  • No, that's a misunderstanding. You can export the annotations in batch already in a number of ways. The question asked here is just how/where to make those export options quickly accessible.
  • "The question asked here is just how/where to make those export options quickly accessible."

Exactly. I'm very very glad with the build-in PDF viewer. It made everything easier and more convenient for me.

As @adamsmith summarized, a quick access for "Store annotations in file" would be nice. That's all I'm saying. (I don't and won't even use "save as" because I'm always trying to organize Zotero local storage for a better library, so don't need to save to an another folder.)
  • Just read through the documents and want to make it clear (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. "File -> Export PDF..." will export PDFs with all notes in PDF, but create new files. This operation has been in batch for a long time I know.

2. "File -> Store Annotations in Files..." will move all notes from Zotero database to PDF embedded in-place. This seems not in batch.

Previously, by saying "exporting the notes in batch", I was referring to the 2nd operation here. Thanks.
  • edited March 28, 2022
    I just tried using the new annotator. It's nice and smooth, feels much better than the acrobat I'm using.

> "The question asked here is just how/where to make those export options quickly accessible."
    Yes, it would be convenient to have a button in the top toolbox. There is plenty room there.

Also, I would suggest a warning when "import annotation" is triggered from the button, because this may change external files if zotfile is used.
    For "store annotations in file", a popup notification may be less annoying and sufficient.
  • Also, I would suggest a warning when "import annotation" is triggered from the button, because this may change external files if zotfile is used.
    There already is a warning: "Annotations stored in the PDF file will be moved to Zotero."
  • Same here. Just upgraded to 6.0.5. I love the new built-in PDF editor but I really would like a way to make the annotations present in the actual files. Because I usually use other PDF readers on different devices.

I have two questions:

1. I don't see the option "Store Annotations in Files" under the "File" tab. Is it removed?

2. I tried to disable the built-in PDF viewer, but I couldn't figure out how.

Thank you
  • edited April 23, 2022
    @WeimingHu:
    1. I don't see the option "Store Annotations in Files" under the "File" tab. Is it removed?
    Yes.
    2. I tried to disable the built-in PDF viewer, but I couldn't figure out how.
    Preferences → General → Open PDFs using
This discussion has been closed.