Zotero is broken

My Zotero (6.0-beta.7+6aa401bce) running on MacOS 12.2.1 is suddenly broken during normal use. I was trying to merge some duplicated references. Initially, it worked. However, Zotero suddenly failed to do anything when I clicked the merge items button. In addition, I could no longer delete any items from either a collection or the library.

I could not quit Zotero after the problem occurred. After force quitting and restarting, I could delete items from the library again. However, after I attempted to merge duplicated items, the same problem occurred.

I reinstalled Zotero but it didn't help. I also found the following message after I clicked the merge items button.

[JavaScript Error: "indexItems() now takes an 'options' object -- please update your code"]

version => 6.0-beta.7+6aa401bce, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.16, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0-beta.7+6aa401bce, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.39.SA.6.0-beta.7+6aa401bce, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.6.0-beta.7+6aa401bce, extension, disabled)
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for reproducing this?
  • edited March 12, 2022
    (Also, please use a more specific title in the future posts. Zotero isn't "broken" — it sounds like you're just getting an error for one specific action, merging duplicates. Hyperbole makes it harder for us to help you.)
  • Sorry, it was not my intention to exaggerate the problem. The problem was triggered by merging items, but afterward, the software was largely unusable as I could not delete any items from the database.

D222864713 and D53744390

I just found out that the problem was triggered only when I tried to merge two specific pairs of items. Both have the greek letter δ (delta) in the title. Merging other items didn't cause the problem.

• If something goes wrong, it's common for other operations to fail until you restart the program — it doesn't mean there's a problem with other functionality.

This wouldn't have anything to do with the delta. It looks like this is a regression in the latest beta when trying to merge two items with attachments that haven't been fully indexed. We'll fix this for the next beta, but you can merge the items by clicking on each attachment and manually reindexing it from the right-hand pane.
  • Thanks. Reindexing fixed the problem.
  • Fixed now in the latest beta