"You no longer have write access ..." for member of private group

I'm using a private group for one of the classes I teach, and I've come across a problem with permissions that I don't see reported elsewhere. I'm not sure if it's a general problem or some anomaly in my test rig. Here are the steps I went through.

1. Created a private group (at http://www.zotero.org/groups/5588).
  2. Sent an invitation to my main email address, with a +test extension on the username portion of the address to fool Zotero into granting a separate ID.
  3. Went through the steps to create a Zotero account against this address for use in testing.
  4. Created a fresh Firefox profile, and installed Zotero 2.0b7.4 in it.
  5. Registered the testing ID and its password in the Preferences -> Sync panel of Zotero.
  6. Hit the sync icon.
This syncs successfully with the server. The group and its subfolders appear in the left-hand panel. Attachments appear under each item in the center panel, and are accessible in the client.

But at the next sync, I get this popup message, with a red exclamation point next to the sync icon:
You no longer have write access to the Zotero group 'NU-Law Politics
and Law in Japan', and changes you've made cannot be synced to the
server.

If you continue, your copy of the group will be reset to its state on
the server, and your local modifications will be lost.

If you would like a chance to copy your changes elsewhere or to
request write access from a group administrator, cancel the sync now.
This is without any attempt to change item data or the attachments. Continuing with the sync does not clear the error, and the popup appears again at the next attempt to sync.

I'm not sure whether the mail address with the + extension, or the fact that I'm accessing from the same IP address, is somehow wrong-footing Zotero about my identity (?). But in any case, I don't think I should be getting this warning unless I've actually touched something in the item data.

Am I missing something?