issue word plugin dialog window regarding accessiblity

Hi all,
Just new here, posting because the github issue tracker instructed me to do so.
So to give some background, I work as an accessibility consultant, and i am posting here on behalf of one of our customers, a zotero user looking to use this with JAWS (our screenreader).

What we are encountering, is a situation where there is a group of 4 inaccessible buttons in the Zotero Word plugin dialog window ( classic "add citation" dialog window set as default).
This dialog windows is being read perfectly by JAWS (our screenreader), but there are four buttons in this window that are not implemented in the correct manner.
If you press the "multiple sources..." button, the dialog windows expands exposing a file list and four arrows (add, remove, up, down).
The file list is fully accessible, but the buttons next to it are not.
I have investigated this, and it seems like the buttons are not MSAA accessible because they are not being exposed to the interface.
However, when taking the UIA approach, the buttons are somewhat accessible and focusable using non default cursors.
The buttons however lack some standard properties that make them difficult to use.

I can create a JAWS script file that fixes this issue client side for this single user, but i realize this is not an ideal approach.
It would be mucht better if this issue was resolved within the zotero interface, enabling other screenreader users to use this dialog window.

So in short, I would suggest a change that involves:
- making this 4 buttons focusable using keyboard expose them in MSAA (add them in the tab order)
- assigning correct name properties to them so the screenreader can read them
- assigning correct "isEnabled" property to MSAA so the screenreader can tell if this button is greyed out or available

Please let me know if you need any more technical information, i can post the UIA dumps but they are quite lengthy.
My apologies for any grammatical errors, English is not my native language.
  • edited March 14, 2022
    Is somebody involved in development able to answer me please?
  • (I don't work for Zotero) Accessibility issues with the Word add-ons are known. My understanding is that the plan is to remedy accessibility of the default (quick format) add-ons, which are currently completely inaccessible, in the relatively short term. Since the classic dialog will eventually get phased out, I'm not sure if it'll see any additional fixes.