can't save from Oxford Journals

Error report: 1536817890

I have been trying to save from Oxford journals.

British Journal of Aesthetics, current issue (49:4)

The above url is the proxy server from my uni library, so drop everything after .org

Click on the folder in the navigation bar, and I get the pop up box about translator problems.

  • The correct URL is this:

    There's a page on troubleshooting translator issues, which ends on the suggestion to post your issue to Zotero's Site Translators forum.
  • Failed attempt to save from Journal of Economic Geography, an Oxford Journal.

    Tooltip says 'Highwire 2.0' -- not sure if that's the correct site translator also for Oxford Journals.

    Firefox version: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv: Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3

    Zotero version: 2.0.3
  • Confirmed, error message is
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: text.match(/=([^=]+)\">\s*Download to citation manager/) is null" {file: "file:///home/sebastian/.mozilla/firefox/wkxw8okh.default/zotero/translators/Highwire%202.0.js" line: 0}]

    Error Report ID: 958843545
  • This was due to a very small change in the Oxford/Highwire citation toolbar. Please go to 2.0.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (

    It should start working again. If this works for you, please post here so that I can submit this change to be pushed to all users.
  • works for me.
  • And we assume this change is universal across all Highwire 2.0 sites? No need to check for both strings?
  • I did assume that, but that's not necessarily a good assumption, and it turns out that both versions occur on Oxford pages. This is why I wish authors put test URLs as comments in their translators!

    I've patched this, though -- the new version is at the same URL above.

    In general, though, the translator could be significantly reworked, since Highwire 2.0 (well, at least Oxford) includes lots of useful info in META tags, including the canonical URL to use in fetching citation data and full text. I opted for the minimal fix for now.

    In the new patched version, I've added a few example URLs with expected output, but I didn't run into any non-Oxford journals that triggered the Highwire 2.0 translator, so my testing was only cursory.

    As always, please let me know if this does or does not work. Sorry for the hastiness of my original patch.
  • I've committed the updated translator. I have not tested this on non-Oxford journals, but since I couldn't find any that used Highwire 2.0, and since the final patch supports both the new and the old page structures, the new version should not break any pages that currently work.
Sign In or Register to comment.