Keyboard navigation broken after adding/selecting annotation

edited March 5, 2022
I noticed that there are times when I cannot use the keyboard to go back/forward a page in a PDF.

1. Open a PDF with the built-in reader.
2. Highlight some text and add an annotation. After typing the annotation text, click on the _margin_ between the annotation sidebar and PDF page.
3. Notice that the left and right arrow keys to go back/forward a page no longer work.

In step 2, if I click on the PDF page instead of the margin, the keybindings work as expected.

This is with version 6.0-beta.4+a7cf689df on Linux.
  • I encounter the same behavior when simply selecting an annotation. After selecting in annotation in the sidebar, clicking on the margin between the sidebar and PDF page breaks the keyboard navigation. Clicking on the PDF page after selecting the annotation behaves as expected.
  • We're working on it — thanks for reporting.
  • I noticed that this has improved in 6.0.13. However, there is still a situation where the keyboard shortcuts are broken:

1. Open a PDF with the built-in reader.
    2. In the PDF (not in the annotation sidebar), click on a highlighted annotation to select it.
    3. Click on the margin between the annotation sidebar and the PDF.
    4. The left and right arrow keys to go back/forward a page no longer work.

If in step 2 I select an annotation in the sidebar, the keyboard shortcuts continue to work. It seems that selecting the annotation from the PDF changes the behavior.
  • I noticed that the keyboard shortcuts are broken if in step 3, I also click on anywhere else in the PDF.
  • I can't reproduce this. Maybe anyone else can reproduce?
  • I can reproduce this with an annotation that already has a comment.

If the comment for an annotation is empty, the comment textbox gets focused, and clicking back on the PDF or margin makes the page forward/back shortcuts work normally.

If there is already a comment on the annotation, the comment textbox does not get focused and clicking on the margin or PDF results in non-functioning forward/back shortcuts.

In either case, hitting the Escape key restores function.
  • Thanks @fcheslack and @martynas_b. I can confirm that this only occurs with annotations that have a comment.
  • Thanks @fcheslack and others, I can reproduce this. It'll be fixed soon.