SOLVED: In text citation of multiple references at once (Word)

edited March 4, 2022
Hi,

I love Zotero and recommend it to all my students

I would like to be able to simply quote within Word text all my references in, say, one sub-collection, or perhaps also from a Zotero search result on specific tags.

Currently I am using the Zotero 'Add/Edit Citation' button in Word whilst simultaneously looking at the relevant list of references in Zotero and one by one typing in the title or author or whatever until it appears and then selecting it, then again and again etc.

This is very laborious when I have 30 references in one go, and I often get muddled / miss some and get very cross :)

For example, 'The large amount of work concerning the Clanger's Soup [1-30] .....' where references 1 to 30 are all in my 'Clangers' sub-collection &/or have the tags 'Clangers' and 'Soup' etc.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Please?

Thank you.
  • when citing, switch to the Classic View and there you can insert multiple citations. You can go per collection and add them over. It's still one by one, but easier nonetheless.
  • edited March 3, 2022
    Thanks
    I am using Zotero Standalone 5.0.96.3, Win10, Word 2016

I cant see how you switch to classic view, either in Zotero or Word

Sorry, I should have search before asking
    https://zotero-manual.github.io/citations/#classic-layout
  • edited March 3, 2022
    OK!

So used the 'multiple sources' option and then add the ones I want to the list in the pane on the right and then click OK to do what I want :)

Great stuff - that has been annoying me for years

Thanks you so much

You, @damnation, are a Rock and Roll Damnation :)
    !
  • how about adding multiple notes? is there a classic view for adding notes where we can select the notes from a list? or is it possible directly from Zotero, which would be very convenient?
  • Hi, I am using Zotero6.0 mac, I am wondering if it has the classic view? I want to add multiple citations, like this format: [1,2,3] but Zotero will insert citations like: [1],[2],[3]; So I manually delete the brackets, but then it prompts that I am updating something and Zotero doesn't like that. How to solve this on a Zotero mac? Thanks
  • @victorleow that's just the new IEEE format that Zotero implements. Other numeric styles will to [1-3] (or [1,2,3] depending on the setting).
  • @adamsmith Thank you so much! I just know that Zotero can change the reference style :)
  • My citation style for consecutive citations appears as [1], [2], [3] (individual number with individual brackets). How can I change it to [1-3] (as a number range, and in one bracket) using IEEE format?
  • There is many other numeric styles on the style repository that will just do that. zotero.org/styles