Separately embed creator first and last name metadata on a website

I'm trying to embed some metadata on a website so that they are picked up by Zotero translators. I have read the documentation here https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata

I want to include author metadata, but I would like to differentiate between first and last names explicitly (i.e., I don't want Zotero to do this automatically for me).

I have checked the source code of both the Embedded metadata and the RDF translator.

Even though the RDF translator is able to distinguish first and last names using for example foaf:familyName and foaf:givenName, they have to be nested in a valid creator node (e.g., so:author).

However, the Embedded metadata translator doesn't seem to support this kind of property nesting (it doesn't seem to understand RDFa in the body, and meta elements in the header cannot be nested).

I tried adding "resource" attributes to link different meta elements (rather than nesting them), but it didn't work.

Is there a way to separately embed first and last names of authors in a way that one of the generic translators would understand it?

Of course this could be achieved using JSON-LD, but it is not yet supported by Zotero.

Thanks!
  • "lastname, firstname" is pretty unambiguous and certainly the easiest option here.

If you really don't want to use that, COinS (while it has some other disadvantages) has rft.aulast and rft. aufirst or you can use Zotero RDF or MODS via unAPI.
  • > "lastname, firstname" is pretty unambiguous

I can't believe I've been struggling for hours with this and couldn't see something as obvious!! I was so stubbornly trying to find a way to explicitly separate them in the metadata that I couldn't see it!

I was thinking of cases without commas when I said I didn't want Zotero to do this automatically for me. But of course using commas works like a charm! I see I can even add a comma at the end to trick Zotero in cases where I don't want it to try splitting the name (name of institutions, for example).

> COinS (while it has some other disadvantages) has rft.aulast and rft. aufirst

Yes, I actually came back here to add that, and then I saw your comment.

> you can use Zotero RDF or MODS via unAPI

I wasn't aware I could use Zotero RDF via unAPI. Very interesting!

Thank you very much, Sebastian! You saved my day
  • I wasn't aware I could use Zotero RDF via unAPI. Very interesting!
    (I hope that's true; you can definitely use MODS, but I might have misremembered Zotero RDF -- unfortunately, unAPI never really took off, even though it's such a neat, flexible protocol. I think Zotero might be the only larger 'consumer')