Creating a filmography

Is there a way to create a filmography with title first, then director, year and studio? I would need a list of films sorted in alphabetical order by title. I tried all styles, but the director comes up first. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • It's possible, yes, but I indeed don't think we have any styles that'd do that. How should the entries look otherwise? And is this *just* a filmography, or would the style also have to work for other item types?
  • Yes, it is much more common to have the director first. But in theory we could also start with the title. As long as I am consistent, I could use the following:

title (in italics), directed by First and Last name, studio, year.

How Now Boing Boing. Directed by Robert Cannon. UPA, 1954.
    or even better:
    How Now Boing Boing. Dir. Robert Cannon. UPA, 1954.

or when we need to specify the source of distribution, this is what I would need:

title. Dir. (or Directed by) First and Last name. Studio, original year of release. web link. Accessed date.

How Kiko Was Born. Dir. Dušan Vukotić and Josip Sudar. Duga Film, 1951. http://film.nu/filmer/kako-se-rodio-kico/10240145.film. Accessed April 19, 2015.

or
    title (in italics). Dir. First and Last name. Studio, original year of release. Format. Distributor, year of distribution.

How Now Boing Boing. Directed by Robert Cannon. UPA, 1954. DVD The Jolly Frolics Collection. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 2012.

Is there any chance I could do this?
    This is for films as well as TV broadcasts.
    Many thanks!
  • As I say, it's certainly possible. I maybe didn't ask this right: are you also going to cite traditional works like books and articles with the same style?
  • Thanks for your help.
    I would like to cite only films and podcasts with the style above. It’s a separate filmography at the end of the project.
  • edited February 26, 2022
  • Amazing! this is perfect! Thank you so much!!!
  • Hi again!

I have a sudden problem with creating my filmography.

The style I received above used to create a list of films according to this order:

titles (in italics), then director(s), Year, and studio (distributor) (and when necessary URL and access):

Example:
    The Adventures of Buratino (Prikliucheniia Buratino). Dmitrii Babichenko, Ivan Ivanov-Vano, Mikhail Botov. 1959. Soiuzmul’tfil’m.

But now, for some reasons, when I create a filmography, it comes out with only title and year.

Also, during the sorting, it does not ignore the article "the", so that the film for example above is sorted together with "T" and not with "A" for "adventures."

Second question: In another of my filmographies I need to omit the distributors and have only titles (in italics), director(s) and year. Is there any way of doing this without going into each citation and delete the distributor name?

Thanks very very much!!!
    Laura
  • That's due to the new version of CSL. Will need to update.
  • edited September 30, 2022
    I just had a go at this and simplified the style quite a bit also.

You can now also enter the original date like this into the extra field:
    original-date: 1954

That way it will output like so:
    How Now Boing Boing. Directed by Robert Cannon. 1954. DVD The Jolly Frolics Collection. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 2012.

(The director is entered as "director".
    in extra field: collection-title: DVD The Jolly Frolics Collection)

Let me know how you get on.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/filmography-csl-style/main/filmography-style.csl
  • Thanks so much! It looks good and it is very helpful! The only problem is the sorting. Is there a way to have the films in alphabetical order ignoring the article "the"? Ex. a film titled "The Cat" will appear in the filmography with the full title but under the letter C, not T.
    Many thanks for your help and the super fast reply! So much appreciated!
  • The only problem is the sorting. Is there a way to have the films in alphabetical order ignoring the article "the"?
    No, sorry, that has never been possible