Sync annotations of pdf files

In Zotero 6 with the preview reader, the annotations are stored in the database:

https://www.zotero.org/support/pdf_reader_preview
> Annotations are stored in the Zotero database, not in the PDF file, which allows for much more advanced functionality as well as fast, conflict-free syncing, including in groups.

This is nice, however, that also means that the annotations are going to be synced and shared with other members of the same group.

Is there a way to keep the annotations “private”?
That means, sync the pdf, the metadata and everything but keep the annotations local.

I know, I could just open the pdf with external viewer, annotate it, and then save it somewhere else, but, well that's a workaround, and I'm hoping there is a better solution.

Best,

• edited February 24, 2022
    No, private annotations within a group library aren't possible (but, of course, they weren't before either, since Zotero would just sync any annotations you saved to the file with an external PDF reader).

You can of course copy the item to your personal library and annotate your private copy.
  • Thanks for your answer.
  • For collaborations, where a lot of people are annotating the same pdf, it would be really useful to be able to filter annotations on a pdf in a group library by username. Currently I understand you can only do so by color.