Request : customizable page counter offset

I'm not sure if this is available or not, but when I tested using "book section", I did not manage to have the citation make use of an offset value for the page numbering.

Use case : any excerpt of book, document, with embedded page numbering.

When citing a page, the page number starts from 1, but the original page numbering may start anywhere.
Citing page 1 to refer to page 25 may be confusing, and maintaining the reference by hand is not convenient, and prone to tracking error.

It would be nice to be able to set a page offset at least at the document level, and (even better) at the outline level (which would allow for tuning of the page numbering within composite PDFs, provided the outline title is cited as well)
  • This is about the citation dialog? So if you typed "1" in the Page field it would cite it as Page 25? That seems confusing and error-prone. If you're citing a page, the actual page number is presumably usually listed on the page and you can just enter that, no?

(For what it's worth, the new PDF reader in the Zotero 6 beta does have a mechanism for entering a different page label for an annotation and applying that offset across all annotations in the document, so when you add those annotations to a note and then add that note to your word processor document, the page numbers will be correct.)
  • Excellent, this is exactly what I needed.

I agree it may seem stupid, but I ran into the problem that some people prefer to print the document, and then it is easier for them when the pages are referred to by the printed number. I know, old school. But it is what it is :)

Thank you for hinting me at this solution.
  • Hello! I have been searching for HOW to "enter a different page label for an annotation and apply that offset across all annotations in the document, so when you add those annotations to a note and then add that note to your word processor document, the page numbers will be correct." Can you please point me in the right direction?