syncing issue

Hi, I am having trouble syncing my library. I'm not talking about PDFs, but about metadata. I am used to having a sync error message because I don't have enough storage (which I can live with for now), so I haven't bothered to check the error messages until I am actually wanting to sync a new collection.
Now, when I check, I see that the creator name field is too long for a given record -- fine, I can edit or just delete that file, and it's very helpful to have the "go to record" option -- but is there a way to get *all* the too-long-creator-name records and handle them all at once? Because fixing or deleting them one at a time after each sync attempt is not fun.
Thanks
  • No, sorry. They'd be there because of bad data from an import, but we err on the side of not throwing out data and letting people deal with it later before syncing.

If you know how these items got into Zotero (e.g., from an import), you might be able to fix them in the original source. If they came from the web, we'd want to know from where.
  • I suspect that at least some of them are from Prospero's RIS export.
    https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/#searchadvanced
    That will teach me to bother adding Prospero registrations to my CV....

Anyway, I am not sure if that is the only source of badly formatted records. I've been ignoring the sync error items because I expect the storage limit error, so there may have been other badly formatted records that I didn't notice at the time.

(FTR I hear that my institution is going to start paying for storage; that's why I haven't subscribed personally.)

I did find a workaround -- not sure yet if it will achieve what I want?
    I searched in the creator field for semicolon
    Saved theatsearch
    Selected all the records that had been retrieved by that search
    Moved them all to the trash, along with the contents of some collections that I didn't really need. (I do a lot of mediated searching that I don't need to keep longterm but I have been lazy about getting rid of those records.)
    I want to delete them permanently but how to do it in bulk? The "delete permanently" button does not appear if I select all. I think that it doesn't like it if any selected items are expanded? I can collapse them all with -, but if I control + A after that, they seem to expand again. OK, I'll just select big chunks with shift + page down. That is handy because, when I select a record that somehow removes the "delete permanently" option, I can at least hit page up to get fewer records selected, the "delete permanently" button comes back, and I can at least get rid of some.
    I eventually ended up with one record in the trash that resisted permanent deletion, ok, I'll figure that out later.
    Now I am trying to sync this new, (relatively) slimmed-down My Library. Fingers crossed!
  • (The current "Delete Permanently…" behavior is a little annoying, but we're fixing that for the next beta version.)