Possible Mac memory issue

Hello, I am currently experiencing a lot of memory usage by Zotero, the activity monitor says around 4gb. Sometimes the app tends to crash or freeze processes in the computer. Is that normal?

I tend to use quite a few tabs on Zotero but I still do not expect my computer to freeze just because of that.

Thanks a lot

MacOs 12.2
Apple M1
Memory 8gb

version => 6.0-beta.1+c6d03753f, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.16, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0-beta.1+c6d03753f, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.6.0-beta.1+c6d03753f, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.38.SA.6.0-beta.1+c6d03753f, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (6.2.5, extension)
  • I am also experiencing a memory problem with same basic hardware/software specs. Running latest Zotero beta release on M1 Mac, 8GB ram. These days just opening Zotero eats up about 2GB of physical ram. The memory pressure pushes into the yellow zone if another app like Safari is also open. Disabling Zotero plugins doesn’t seem to make any difference.
  • @zymbuzz: How many tabs is "quite a few"?

In particular, note that PDFs that are just scanned images can be highly compressed and use a lot of memory when viewed.

@jmoses: Are you referring to the PDF reader or just Zotero in general?
  • @dstillman Apologies for the ambiguity. Having more PDF reader tabs open definitely consumes more memory. But when it's open, Zotero is almost always appears as the top consumer of memory in Activity Monitor.
  • Thanks for the support. I have around 20 tabs open with Zotero's pdf reader.
  • edited February 17, 2022
    Well, again, it depends on the specific PDFs, but with 20 PDFs open, it's normal for it to use a significant amount of memory (though I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near 4 GB unless you do actually have PDFs with many pages of scanned images). Future versions will likely optimize memory usage, and we may also try to do things like unload PDFs from memory when not in active use.
  • thanks for the response. keep up the good work:) I am sure M1 users are waiting for native support, it might help with this...
  • I can still confirm that Zotero takes around 3gb of memory after the latest beta updates
This discussion has been closed.