Separating references

I have a document (several actually) where I need to go back and add references. How do I do this and get commas between them instead of them simply concatenating please.
  • Sorry Ignore this - had given up on trying to do this and passed it to someone else - and now am back and had overlooked the earlier help I had. Will re-read it - but it all does seem not very intuitive. Great if you use it every day but I suspect the UI could do with some fresh non-expert eyes.
  • edited February 12, 2022
    How the citations are formatted (commas or otherwise) is dependent on the bibliographic style you are using in your manuscript.

On a new document practice writing a few sentences of a paragraph, add references, then go back and edit those references to add additional citations. If it seems difficult, please go back to your original question concerning Zotero and Mandeley. This is a process that after doing it once or twice should become all but intuitive.

### If you are trying to add additional references to an old document that has had the live Zotero reference fields removed-- you will see the new references concatenated to the existing references but _not_ necessarily according to the proper bibliographic style.

_Always_ keep an up-to-date version of your working document that retains live Zotero fields.

_Never_ share with anyone the only version of your document that has Zotero fields. It is likely that the document will be stripped of active Zotero fields when it is opened and saved by other software. If you share your working document be sure to share a copy that has flattened your live Zotero fields and be sure to retain the version with live Zotero fields.

Some suggestions:

Always (!) keep at least 2 versions of your document with active Zotero citation fields. (For important documents I save versions with the date and time as part of the file name. I often have ten or more versions of my important documents -- all with live Zotero fields.)