How to export Endnote (WITH FOLDERS) to Zotero?

hi there,

I've tried to look this up but couldn't find a solution. I've managed to export my references from Endnote and import to Zotero. However, i would like to also keep all the folders I've created in Endnote and import it to Zotero. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Daryl C
  • As far as we're aware, none of Endnote's export formats contains folder information, so apart from exporting folder by folder (and the manually re-creating the folder hierarchy in Zotero) I'm afraid the answer is no.
  • Would their SDK provide a means to do full exports?
  • Theoretically, probably, but:
    1.3 Prohibited Uses. Without limiting other restrictions in this Agreement, you agree that (i) the API/SDK may not be used to create Work Product that (a) offers or promotes services that may be damaging to, disparaging of or otherwise detrimental to EndNote or its licensors, licensees, affiliates and partners, (b) transfers, displays or uses content or functionality from EndNote without creating additional and distinct benefit(s) for EndNote users, (c) competes with EndNote in any commercial or non-commercial market, or (d) leverages EndNote as a hosted application on a web server; and (ii) the API/SDK and Work Product may not be used with demo versions of EndNote other than for short-term testing and evaluation purposes.
    Given history, I'm not sure I'd rely on Clarivate not interpreting Zotero export as violating a) and/or c)

• Wow. That ought to be sufficient reason not to use endnote.
  • Thanks for your help Adam. Looks like I've got to find a workaround to re-organise my references...
  • If you're on a Mac there might be a way to applescript your way through this.