Field request: decisionType

I've begun recording law reports using the "Case" type. I have one small request, and one small suggestion.

The small request is to add a field to "case" for "decisionType", labelled in the UI as "Disposition". In a given matter, a court might issue several interim orders before the final judgment, each of which would be cited separately. A field for "Disposition" would provide a systematic way of keeping the various orders issued in a case straight. (For clarity, I'm including a patch at the bottom of this post that shows what I have in mind. Feel free to delete the patch after reading; I'm only putting it here for temporary illustration purposes.)

(EDIT by fbennett: patch has been pulled)

The small suggestion is to change the name of this type in the UI from "Case" to "Judgment". "Case" is a descriptive term for a dispute that unfolds in stages. For example, the case of World-Wide Volkswagen Corp. v. Woodson involves two separate court decisions based on the same set of facts: one by the Supreme Court of Oklahoma; and another by the Supreme Court of the United States.

"Judgment" is narrower than "case", and might better capture what the type is meant to record -- I don't believe it is meant, by itself, to capture petitions, motions, or briefs, which a lawyer would think of as being part of a given "case".
  • These sorts of suggestions should be made in the context of BIBO. If there are flaws in the way BIBO models these things, feel free to make suggestions.
  • I can try. Is this the relevant BIBO entry? If so, I don't see anything in there about a disposition field ... but I don't see any other field names in there either. Should this specification have field names in it, or is it meant for some other purpose?

As for my suggestion to use "Judgment" rather than "Case", it seems consistent, at the conceptual level, with the fact that BIBO contains the bibo:LegalDecision entry (linked above). Is there something that I should be suggesting about that that I'm missing?

As you can tell, I'm kind of lost.

If it's possible to just add a decisionType field and link it to "type", that's all I'm after. It would contain information like "Reversed and remanded", "Affirmed", "Injunction granted". Signals of what action the court took through the decision. We use this information in citations.
  • edited October 18, 2009
    There is a top-level bibo:subsequentLegalDecision object property (e.g. it's value is not a string literal, but a resource, ideally with its own URI), with some subproperties (like bibo:affirmedBy). If necessary, it would be possible to add inverse relationships (affirms, etc.), but I hadn't seen that as necessary in citations (the existing properties model the "history").

There is also a more generic bibo:status object property that might be helpful.

So the modeling in BIBO is really ideally less about literals, than about links in a graph.
  • edited October 18, 2009
    BTW, might be worth noting that Stuart Sierra at AltLaw has been working on his own legal vocabulary to power AltLaw. Ideally, I'd like to bring it and BIBO in line where reasonable.
  • If only the forward-looking properties are available, and I have a decision of the U.S. Supreme Court, how would I discover the original trial judgment and intervening appellate judgements that gave rise to it (the procedural history of the case)?
  • It would make sense to have both directions of links, it seems to me.