After update yesterday (and then booting today) Zotero icon is missing (again)

I'm on Linux Mint, and Zotero has (for the most part) been working perfectly. A few weeks ago, Zotero's icon went missing, but after some attempts and a few reinstalls it was back.

Until this morning: now the icon in the task bar is missing again. I try doing the set_launcher_icon thing again; nothing happens.

There was an update yesterday, and this is the new version:
5.0.97-beta.65+15ae72d14

Last time I was told to troubleshoot this myself, and I tried with the help of people in the Linux Mint forums, but nothing really worked either.

I thought I'd ask here again, because this appears to happen sometimes/always? after an update.

The primary/only reason I'm using the beta is the PDF reader and annotator, so once that is available in the regular release, would it help to use that instead of the beta?

• I said you'd have to troubleshoot this yourself because it's literally not part of Zotero. Unlike on macOS and Windows, Linux apps don't have any mechanism for icons built in — launcher icons are a feature of the distro being used. We include a script in the tarball that updates the icon path in the .desktop file, and zotero-deb similarly sets the right hard-coded path, but that's no different from editing the file yourself. How a file gets displayed in your launcher is entirely a function of your distro, so the Mint forums would indeed be the place to get help for this.

This also has nothing to do with release vs. beta or the specific Zotero version you're running, because, again, it's unrelated to the app itself.
  • Apologies, did not understand that. Thanks for explaining!