Reference extraction questions

I'd like to be able to send a doc, while the receiver can click a button in their MSWord extension to "extract all citations" to a new library folder and easily read the papers I am citing. I see that this is likely a long ways away, so enter the clunky Reference Extractor.

However I cannot make sense of the second sentence, from the support pages:

"If a document contains Zotero or Mendeley citations not in your library and you need to make changes to the metadata or include them in other documents, you'll need to extract the citations into your library. For Word .docx documents, you can use Reference Extractor.

Note that to continue using the same document, you'll want to replace all instances of the original citation with the new item from your library, being sure to select from the library section of the citation dialog's search results rather than the Cited section. "

sorry, but, what? Can someone please break this down a little more? The person I send this to would have to go individually replace each individual citation? Why? So there's no way to send back and forth and edit a library together?

Let's say I don't really need them to edit the metadata, I just want them to be able to see the papers somehow, so they could just do a search for each. Can I just send them the library I extract, and they can open it and have it ready to browse through (just, I guess, not clickable from the MSWord fields)?

In lieu of all this cumbersomeness: Is there a reasonable way to use a group library to share references with my team members? I see how it could be straightforward if I were to have kept everything in one folder on the group library, where we could just both be working off the same synced group library (I think?? please clarify if not). The problem I have is, some things I cited were from the group library, and some were from my personal library, and from many different folders across each. Is there an easy way to make a new folder in our shared library populated with everything from the doc, or does this bring us back to Reference Extractor?
  • Every item get's a unique ID.
    You write a document, insert a citation from your library.
    You send the document, the second person extracts these citations now and adds them newly to their database. Zotero gives these items a new ID.

And that's the problem. Zotero will not know that this is the same item, but treat them like two different ones.

And yes, using a group library is the solution for this. See this post for example: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/387971/#Comment_387971

Because that way everyone is referring to the very same Zotero item.

And regarding your question how to create a library with all the citations from that very paper, see "Select the original cited items in your existing Zotero libraries [only available for Zotero]. Once items are selected in Zotero, you can drag the items into a new collection or apply a tag." from https://rintze.zelle.me/ref-extractor/

Note, this will not create new, duplicate items. It'll just tell you in Zotero which items were cited and that way you can get them into your group library.

• Thank you!

Is there a way to select cited items automatically through word or zotero, or do I have to find every citation manually to create a new library? It would be pretty tough to sort through, and often citations are in different (private vs. group) libraries. As far as I can tell there is no global search that extends across libraries.
  • There is an open in library button when you edit a citation and click on the blue/grey bubble, but that's one by one. Using reference extractor seems like a much better idea.

But I am not sure this has become quite clear yet: If you created a document with citations from multiple libraries, including "My library", there is no way to allow another person to edit the metadata of the citations that doesn't involve individually deleting and replacing them. Groups are great, but switching to a group mid-project is a mess.

• Got it, thank you.

> switching to a group mid-project is a mess

I can see that, yes. But at this point I just wanted to grab all the papers so my collaborator can easily read them, I don't really need her to edit the metadata.
  • yeah, that should work pretty well as described by damnation above.