Bug Report 942805013: Unable to see Note UI in Standard View, Note UI dysfunctional.

This just started happening this morning, in the middle of working on something, of course.

This seems to be an issue in the PDF viewer/annotator:

I can no longer see the "+" button in the Items pane when using the PDF editor in Standard view, so I am unable to add a note (either item or from annotations) while using Standard view. The text of the notes is running off the right side of the screen, so I assume the "+" button is appearing somewhere to the right side of the visible screen, but of course I can't click it there. If I switch to Stacked view I can see the "+" button.

"So just use Stacked mode..."

When in Stacked mode, the "+" button will create an entry for a note, but his entry is not saved: no note appears in the DB. Similarly, in Standard or Stacked view, there are no notes at all appearing under the "All Notes" section of the Items pane. Looking at the library view, all the notes are still there, and can be seen and edited, and the annotations are all visible in the PDF editor, just not as notes.

I haven't seen any errors, and the bug report reported no issues.
  • Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?

Have you tried restarting Zotero? Have you tried resizing the right-hand pane?
  • Restarted Zotero multiple times, rebooted the computer, resized Zotero, resized the right-hand pane...

I'll note that the annotation that I added in Stacked view finally seems to have created a note in the DB, but of course you can't see it in PDF editor view.

All the screen shots are of the same paper ("Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and heme iron induce oxidative stress biomarkers and a cancer promoting environment in the colon of rats"—a fun read!), so you can see that the notes are missing in PDF view.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/139ie4uR8eR6Sm-MgvEjUxtWB-EFQBKKZ?usp=sharing
  • I had ~26 pdfs open. On a hunch, I closed all the pdfs (noting which ones I had open!) and restarted Zotero and the computer. It's now working as expected. I ran another "Report Errors", (1984497160) and this time it reported a whole bunch of Javascript errors, whereas the previous one had been clean.

I added another screenshot to the folder above, with the resolved functionality.
  • I had ~26 pdfs open.
    Oh, that's important info. There's a known issue where the layout gets a bit messed up when there are a large number of tabs. I'm not sure if that's related to what you were seeing in the notes pane, so if you see that again without the tabs part, let us know.