Switching "active" folder is annoying

I've been using Zotero actively a week now for my PhD thesis and I feel that my fresh feedback might be useful for future developments. I'm writing because I'm quite annoyed by one general behavior of Zotero. Mainly that both the Chrome extension and desktop app use the same "active" folder system. I would like the active folder not to be synced and instead use the last folder that was open in the exact app/platform/extension.

1. I always use "Not read" folder when saving new articles and references from the Chrome extension. But because I'm working with "In progress" references in desktop app, every time I am creating a new reference from the extension, I have to select "Not read" manually (because the active folder is "In progress" and automatically selected). I wish my last selected folder in the Chrome extension would stay selected.

2. Once I've selected "Not read" in Chrome, the desktop app switches to the same folder instead of what I was actively using before ("In progress"). Maybe a rule that if you don't switch it manually it doesn't change?

Keep up the good work and carry on with updates, thanks!
  • It's a fair argument, but the reason for the current behavior is that it allows the newly saved item to be selected in Zotero for further edits (e.g., correcting metadata) or organization (e.g., adding to additional collections). If the connector and app didn't share the active collection, you'd have to go find the item in Zotero after saving, which would be pretty annoying. There could be a button to select the item in the app, but that would take up space in the expanded popup and wouldn't really fit at all in the collapsed popup.

I would argue that the main problem here is trying to use a collection instead of a tag. We always recommend using a tag for that, generally a colored tag for visibility and for easy toggling via the keyboard. And then the better change to address your use case, and one we've discussed before, would be the ability to set a tag that would get automatically set on new items.
  • Thanks for the quick answer!

I get the use case of editing the new reference. Maybe a setting that regulates this behavior?

I also accept that using tags instead of collections is part of the solution and I seriously consider doing that. However, what it woulnd't solve is still switching focus from the article I'm working with to the newly added article.

Specific use case: adding relations to existing article.
    I'm working on adding all related articles to article X that I wanna read further. I'm searching for the references from X, add them to Zotero via extension and then clicking "Add" in the Related tab of X. By adding reference articles to Zotero, the newly added article is selected and I need to find the original article again that I wanted to add this link to. I know that I could reverse relate the new article to X, but then I have to search for X when adding the relation. It is more convenient to statically sit in the Related section of X and add all references from there rather than jumping to the new article and trying to remember the name of the article I was adding the relations to.

Maybe there's a better way for me?
  • Install the Zutilo plugin. Then, you can select both items, right click, and choose Relate Selected Items from the popup menu.