Zotero Integration Error when introducing a page range (Report ID 1250955820)

I've had problems introducing page ranges (for example pp. 232-233) in my LibreOffice connected to Zotero. The Zotero Integration dialogue would throw the following error:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?"

I could now identify that the problem is somehow related to LibreOffice's paragraph style as well as to Zotero's citation style "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date)" and thus seem to likely be a bug.

One way to reproduce:

1. Open a LibreOffice ODT document with a paragraph stylised using a manually defined Quotations paragraph style and with a Zotero quotation that includes a page range (like the one I will have send to support@zotero.org).
2. Change the Citation Style to "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date)".

Another way to reproduce:
1. Open a LibreOffice ODT document with a paragraph stylised using a manually defined Quotations paragraph style and with a Zotero quotation that includes a page range (like the one I will have send to support@zotero.org).
2. Change the page range to single page (232-33 -> 232).
3. Change the Citation Style to "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date)".
-> No error, in contrast to the above described scenario.
4. Change the single page to page range (232 -> 232-33).
-> Error!
5. Change the LibreOffice paragraph style to something other than the current Quotations style (say Text Body).
6. Change the single page to page range (232 -> 232-33).
-> No error!
  • Are you using the "Next Style" property in your custom LibreOffice style? It's known to cause issues with Zotero. It's a LibreOffice bug, you may post on their bugtracker to say you're affected by it too. In the meantime you should not use the Next Style property when citing with Zotero. Sorry about the inconvenience.
  • I am using the "Next Style" property. But I am using it not only with the paragraph style Quotations that throws the error, but also with other paragraph styles that work perfectly well. So if I change the paragraph style of the passage I sent you to say "Text Body" or "First Line Indent", the Zotero citation will behave normally.
  • Yeah, you'll see the error whenever you have a Zotero citation in a paragraph that uses a style with different Next Style property.
  • I think I was unclear. I have another style in the same document, a few in fact, all of which use Next Style but where Zotero citations do NOT produce any errors.
  • Sorry, I don't often need to go into the LibreOffice code, so I may be forgetting some details, but I think the bug only manifests when inserting citations that need rich text, which is when citations need custom formatting or when they include non-latin characters or latin diacritics. So if you're inserting a citation like (Smith, 2022) it won't trigger it, but (VenĨ, 2022) will.

Either way, you likely won't be able to avoid international authors, so the only workaround is to not use the Next Style property.
  • I cannot confirm that the problem relates to the use of rich text, as you describe. In the example I provide I haven't used any rich text.

But I do confirm that the the error is related to using Next Style property, i.e. defining Next Style as some other style, but that it happens with some/few paragraph styles (in my case only one) but not with others.
  • In your example the [1] is in superscript, i.e. custom formatting, which is a type of rich text.