Wikipedia snapshot kills Zotero and fries my laptop!

Taking snapshot of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths:

Snapshot fails with red cross and error message.
Laptop system temperature rapidly rises to 96℃/205℉.
A dialogue box soon appears, saying "Zotero is not responding" and offering "Force quit" and "Wait" buttons.

This behaviour is reproducible, even after reboots.
Snapshots of other Wikipedia pages work fine.
Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour?

* Zotero 5.0.97-beta.63+035aac30f
* Firefox 95.0.2
* Zotero Connector 5.0.92; Report ID: 1210782239
* Fedora 35; Gnome 41.2.
  • First try disabling other Firefox extensions. While Zotero shouldn't crash regardless, the snapshot save shouldn't happen in Zotero to begin with — it should happen in the Zotero Connector, and does for me.

If disabling all other extensions doesn't help, can you provide Debug IDs from the Zotero Connector and Zotero for reloading the page and trying to save?
  • Thanks @dstillman for your prompt response!

Disabling all FF extensions (except Zotero Connector, obviously) didn't help.

I can't submit Zotero debug info, because Zotero is totally unresponsive after the snapshot fails.

Debug ID for Zotero Connector is D1337319747.
  • Can you open Zotero's Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output window as tall as it can go, take a screenshot when it freezes, and either upload the screenshot somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive) and provide a link here or email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread? (We'll respond here regardless.)

Also, if you're able to submit the debug output at any point during the process after the save and before the freeze, that would be helpful.
  • @dstillman: This is doing my head in! Results differ, depending on how I view them.

Scenario 1:
    FF in one window, Debug Output window underneath it, ie, FF window covering second window. Take FF snapshot, wait for failure, then switch to Debug Output window. The two pics in my email to support@zotero.org show result.
    I've done this many times, and Zotero always crashes, as described in previous posts.

Scenario 2:
    Put windows next to each other. Take FF snapshot and watch results in Debug Output window. I've just now done this experiment several times, and get different behaviours: sometimes crashes, sometimes doesn't.
    In the last run I did, I was able to send debug results, ID D1975170908. I can send a bunch of screenshots if the debug results don't come through.
  • @dstillman: I found another page which reliably crashes my zotero:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_articles

Disabling addons, then restarting, has no effect.
    Debug ID D284366591. Sent screenshot to support@zotero.org, in case the debug output wasn't quite finished when sent.

Also, ignore comments above about windows next to each other: I think I must have sent debug info a fraction of a second prior to app freezing, and got confused.
  • @dstillman
    When saving https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_articles in a fresh install of zotero 5.0.97-beta.63+035aac30f (plus fresh connector 5.0.92), I get a different dialog box:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete."

The script is single-file.js. Screenshot sent to support@zotero.org.

• We've pushed a change here that should help. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

Technical details: The Wikipedia translator uses the article's permalink URL for the URL field, and it was using the sane URL for the snapshot. When the snapshot URL isn't the current page URL, the snapshot has to be saved in the Zotero app instead of in the browser due to restrictions on browser extensions. The same SingleFile code is used in both cases, but it's more performant in the browser, and these are huge pages with hundreds of images. It was working for me in-app on my very fast new M1 Mac, but on a slightly older computer I was seeing the same error as you, which seems to break the saving process even if you click Continue. We've updated the Wikipedia translator to just use the current page, so hopefully this will work better now.