How to Add a New Type of Reference

edited January 4, 2022
Hi,

Using Beta 5.0.97-beta.63+035aac30f

Among the types of references offered the default set starts with book, and the "More" list expands to end with "Video Recording".

Image: https://ibb.co/K7xvYqs

Is there any way I can add to this list? So that I could create my own category of reference, thereby expanding the list?

If possible, I'd like to have my "New" category to be included in the default set at the top.

Thanks,

CC
  • Note that once you create an item you can change the item type and that that list is actually longer (e.g. it always gets asked how to make a website item).

You might find what you're looking for that way.
  • edited January 4, 2022
    Hi,

Ah! New user here, so forgive me if I'm asking the obvious! :P :D

You wrote:
    ONCE YOU CREATE AN ITEM YOU CAN CHANGE THE ITEM TYPE

Sorry, for example - I have an Item Type as Journal Article right now. I couldn't see any way to change that. I clicked. Right-clicked. How can I do that?

Thanks!

CC
  • edited January 4, 2022
    Click on the "journal article" Item Type field not on "Item Type". That will give you the drop-down options. If you click there in error use "esc" as a quick way to cancel from the numerous options.

edit
    I'm assuming that you are using the Zotero application and not the Zotero website. I'm not sufficiently familiar with web library functions to know if this is possible there.

edit-2
    Never-mind. I just tested and when using the web library, after clicking 'edit' the same is true online like with the local application.

At any rate, and at this time, the Zotero version that runs from your computer is much more powerful and flexible than the web version.
  • But to answer what I believe is the original question, no, you can't define new item types in Zotero.

As for the menu, the list of five types in the first menu will just be the most recently used types once you've actually created items.
  • Hi dstillman,

Got it.

Thanks!

CC
This discussion has been closed.