OpenOffice Writer plugin usability

Hello,

in addition to the issues with the OOo plugin that were already mentioned around here (e.g., automatic resizing of the Add/Edit Citation dialog), I have a couple of other suggestions to improve usability:

1. Move the Search field from its orphan position on the far left to the center; I'm sure the search feature is heavily used, so it should not be so remote. If the search field could remember recent searches in a drop-down box, that would be great.

2. Add "find-as-you-type" functionality, so that people can quickly jump to the citation they want when the citation list has the focus. What I mean is something similar to the file list in Windows Explorer, where you type the first few letters of a file name, and Windows automatically selects the first match.

3. Make the list box containing the multiple selected citations resizable. It is very narrow. Maybe it would even better to have the two lists on top of one another, not side by side, as the list entries themselves are already quite wide.

4. Add citations to the "selected" list box by double click.

All in all I must say Zotero is really great!

Daniel
  • You can get a sort of find-as-you-type if you sort by author, then click on the list and type a few letters of the author's name.

That's one of my standard ways of using zotero in ff as well - for a "known item" search I find it the most straightforward.
  • Thanks for the hint. My list was already sorted by author by coincidence (?), so I thought typing the first letters should work. I now clicked on the column heading to "sort", and it works. So I can scratch item 2 off my list...

Daniel