Is there a fix for high DPI screens?

edited December 28, 2021
Here's what I have been dealing for years now zot2 zot

My DPI is set at 175%. All of the Zotero windows do not fully fit my screen, including the preferences windows. Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.
  • Do you have the font size set at its default in Zotero?

Have you changed layout.css.devPixelsPerPx in the Config Editor in the Advanced pane of the preferences? Assuming it's -1.0, does setting it to either 1.0 or 2.0 help?
  • edited December 30, 2021
    @dstillman Thanks for the reply. My font was not set at the default, I have set it at default now for testing. My layout.css.devPixelsPerPx was already set at 2.0, I have also tried 1.0 and reverted to -1.0. With everything at default most of the windows fit the screen but doesn't completely solve the problem. For example the "get additional styles" windows is unusable even at default settings. As soon as I increase font size the windows become huge, why are window sizes scaling along with font size? Font size should not affect window size.

For me with everything at default the font size is way too small. I thought this was a known problem?
  • As soon as I increase font size the windows become huge, why are window sizes scaling along with font size? Font size should not affect window size.
    There's not always a great alternative. If you make dialog text very large, there's often nowhere for it to go unless the dialog itself gets bigger. So the options are not scaling text (which might mean people need to use OS magnification tools) or scaling the window (which might only work for people with larger monitors).

To take the Document Preferences window as an example, the "Fields"/"Bookmarks"/"Automatically update citations" need to take up more space if the text is bigger. One thing we could do there is have the style list remain a fixed height regardless of the font size — that would work because it's already a scrollable element. We'll see if we can make that change.

If you have other examples, we can look at them. (Not sure what you mean re: "Get additional styles…". That's just a web view, and it doesn't change at all based on the font size pref for me.)
  • One thing we could do there is have the style list remain a fixed height regardless of the font size
    OK, I've made this change for the next beta.
  • @dstillman sorry I must've missed your reply notification.

I'm willing to send more examples but the most problematic is the Word option dialogue which is the one I use most often. Is it not possible to make the pop-up window resizable in the same fashion that you can resize most windows? Like when you place the cursor on one of the corners and you can drag the corner and resize it? I would expect the font size to scale dynamically, I would be perfectly fine if the font would become smaller but at least I could see the window completely.
  • Standard app dialogs aren't resizable. That's not a correct solution.

But as I say above, I updated the Document Preferences dialog months ago to keep the style list at a fixed height, which helps keep the window at a reasonable size even with larger fonts. Are you having a problem with current versions? If so, can you link to a screenshot?
  • I have the same exact problem I had before, I don't see any changes. It would be the same screenshot as I posted in the opening message.

I'm on 6.0.4, should I try to reset the layout.CSS settings in the config editor?
  • edited April 12, 2022
    I'm not really sure what you're expecting, though. In the screenshot in your initial post, you've made the font size very large, on a seemingly not-very-tall monitor. Compare it to the font size in Word. It's many times the size. There's a certain amount of text that needs to be in the dialog.
  • I am resuming this conversation because the problem is still not solved. Zotero is the only software that I have that doesn't scale properly. What I would expect is that the window is rescaled to completely fit in the screen, if needed of course the font will have to be made smaller. Another option is to have a scrollbar, as I have mentioned, I only have this problem with Zotero. My monitors are standard 16:9 ratio, and I had the same problem on the 13 inch and 15 inch laptops. I'm not sure what you mean by "not very tall", it's just a partial screenshot. What is the screen ratio of your monitors?
  • If that's not your full monitor height then I'm not sure what it's meant to show. Zotero has a font-size setting. If you set the the font bigger, that's the size of the font — it's not going to just disregard your setting and make it smaller in a particular dialog because of the size of your screen. Again, there's a certain amount of text in the dialog that needs to be there, so if you make the font big enough, the dialog has to be a certain minimum height.

This kind of dialog isn't user-resizable — look at something like the Properties dialog in File Explorer for an equivalent.
  • edited October 6, 2023
    Thank you, that's a good example that you make because the properties dialog in file Explorer is always contained within the screen.

The main Zotero interface works well because its elements can be resized and there are scrolling bars. The solution would be to have different font sizes instead of a global one, or limiting the font size of dialog windows so that such windows are always contained within the screen. That's what other software do. When you increase font size in Word you don't increase font size of the menus or the save file dialog, those are scaled based on the Windows global scaling settings.

It's not a critique, I'm just pointing out what I think is a user interface problem that it's not present in other software.
  • If you are curious by my full monitor height here is a full screenshot
    https://ibb.co/vcw0qNx
  • Thank you, that's a good example that you make because the properties dialog in file Explorer is always contained within the screen.
    But with what size font? Can you share a screenshot?

I'm still unclear on the actual issue here. Are you saying that you have Zotero's font size increased, or that Zotero is changing based on some global Windows setting?

For example, Zotero's fonts in that dialog are sized vastly bigger than the Word interface behind it. Do you have it set that way on purpose?
    When you increase font size in Word you don't increase font size of the menus or the save file dialog, those are scaled based on the Windows global scaling settings.
    Right, but that’s just the content font size. The equivalent setting in Zotero is the Note Font Size setting. The whole point of the main font-size setting — if that's what you're changing here — is that it increases the user-interface font size, which can necessitate making some dialogs bigger.