hyperlink jump in new pdf reader never work

In new pdf reader, when one click some hyperlink to jump another page, it never work. This function should be very basic, will this will be implemented in the near future?
  • It is implemented. If it's not working for you, we'd want a Report ID and a link to the PDF for which it's not working.
  • Ok, report ID is 837443156.
  • edited December 25, 2021
    and a link to the PDF for which it's not working
  • Any link in any pdf is not working.
  • 5.0.97-beta.38+f27432347
    You're using a 4-month-old beta.
  • I just use the release version, because I found that the database was inconsistent between the release and beta version, and I can't import the data from the beta version into the release version. I don’t know why I updated it to 5.0.97-beta with a recent update automatically.
  • Another reason I don't want to use beta version is that the new note editor still does not support math formula.
  • Not sure what you're saying here. Again, you're using a beta version from August. You're not using the release version, which doesn't have the new PDF reader. You need to install the current beta and figure out why your auto-updates aren't working.

We can't help you further if you're running a beta that's twenty versions behind the current one.
    I mean, I’ve been using the release version, but somehow, in a recent update, it was forced into beta. I thought this beta was the version you recommended, and this one includes pdf-reader and note-editor, so I use it with confidence (I haven’t tested whether I can correctly import its database into the release version). Then there’s something about why I didn’t want to use the beta version before, i.e. it can not import the database correctly into the release version & the note editor does not support math formula.
  • You are misunderstanding. The beta version you are reporting the error from is not current. Update it and then try again.

(None of the rest seems relevant here, but FWIW you almost certainly didn't get pushed into the beta without actively installing it)
  • I may not misunderstand what you mean. It's very strange. I opened the software yesterday and it was automatically updated to the beta version and the beta version was a few months ago. I haven't done anything to get pushed into the beta before. I will try the latest release version and test whether I could import its database correctly into the release version. After all, there are risks to using the beta version. Thanks for your patient answer.
  • The latest beta version is working, but I cannot import its database correctly into the release version. I'm considering whether there are any risks in using it. I’m very worried about data loss.
  • The beta database isn't compatible with the current stable version, so that's to be expected.

The beta version has been out for many months now and is pretty stable. I don't think it poses any additional risk of data loss (though you should of course always have a backup of Zotero data as you would of all important data)
    I'd say worst case for using the beta is that it won't work for a bit after an update, so maybe not ideal for a large project with a tight and close deadline
    I choose to delete the beta version, and install the release version & reinstall some addons (including reconfiguration). I find if I directly install the release version without deleting the beta version, I will get pushed into the beta. Now, the new note-editor and pdf-reader are good, but not very good, it still lacks some key features, e.g. math formula in note-editor, handwriting support in pdf-reader. I’m gonna wait and see for a while.
  • > if I directly install the release version without deleting the beta version, I will get pushed into the beta.

Even if I delete the beta version, then reinstall the release version, I still get pushed into the beta.
  • edited December 26, 2021
    I suspect you're just misunderstanding what's happening. If you have the beta installed and you install the release version, you'll get an error message that your database requires the beta version. This is explained on the dev builds page where you originally installed the beta. It's not possible to get "pushed" to the beta from the release version.

But there's really no reason to revert to the release version at this point. The beta is stable and will become the release version soon, and it's not like the previous version had a note editor that supported math formulas or had a PDF reader at all. I'd recommend just using the beta until Zotero 6 comes out and switching back to the release channel at that point.

The problem you reported in this thread is just from running a months-old version of the beta, before we supported PDF links, perhaps because you turned off auto-updates.
  • Ok, I will use the beta version. But I immediately encountered a bug:

https://res.cloudinary.com/dualer/image/upload/v1640509854/grocery/屏幕截图_2021-12-26_165949_ivzw3a.png

Maybe you should fix it.
  • > it's not like the previous version had a note editor that supported math formulas or had a PDF reader at all.

Do you mean the new note will support math formulas soonly? That's amazing!
    Do you mean the new note will support math formulas soonly?
    No, you're misunderstanding. I meant that lack of math support in the beta is a nonsensical reason to revert to an older version, when the older version didn't have it either.
    I immediately encountered a bug
    We need a Report ID after that occurs.
  • Oh, that's what you mean. I just mean, because it's not perfect enough, I probably won't use these functions, so the value of the beta version can't be reflected.

I have submitted the report, its ID is 612638428.
    [JavaScript Error: "Error for operation 'open' for D:\Users\[…]\Zotero\storage\5LHYCJ7K\W[…].pdf: Win error 1392 during operation open on file D:\Users\[…]\Zotero\storage\5LHYCJ7K\W[…].pdf (文件或目录损坏且无法读取。
    Your filesystem or disk appears to be damaged. You should run a disk checker. This isn't a problem in Zotero.
  • That error is actually for a different file, but it's possible you have multiple files affected, or there could be a more general problem with the disk. (Is this an external drive? A network share?)

After repairing any errors on the disk, if you're still having trouble, you can provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for an error and we may be able to say more.